Want to be a Service Technician?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudturtle

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We offer professional training in Scuba equipment repair and service. Your Instruuctor has over 20 years experience and has credentials from virtually every manufacturer. You will be trained first, then attend manufacturers clinics and seminars. Complete training involves an internship, but a two week "nuts and bolts" course is also available. Trainees provide their own tools, materials and a good attitude.
Facility is in Plano TX and programs can be started at any time.
Contact Jeff Simpson at 214-227-2494 or jeff@diverstrainingcenter.org

I definitely agree. The typical factory program assumes the person is either a total neophyte or and experienced tech. My approach is to do the hard core learning about regulator theory and application first and then get them into the subtlties of the various brands and types. This is, in reality, a dynamic process since new things come out all the time. However, the older stuff will always be around and there is a LOT of it. I would venture to say that 25% of the work we do is remedial work to correct something another service person has not done correctly. That is inexcusable with life support equipment and our industry, in general, expects tech to grow on trees, I guess.

The only serious entity in the country on this issue has, unfortunately, set their program and requirements way too high - and self-serving. This isn't rocket science, but it is serious and requires correct training, tools and work habits.

Great news!! I used to offer a class several years ago to dive shops and called it "Scuba Tech 101" where they learned regulator design, history and theory. After going through my class they could effectively dismantle any regulator and identify the purpose behind any part in there as well as properly re-assemble and tune. This gave them the background needed to actually "get" what was being taught at the various manufacturer seminars.

Nothing is more frustrating than to see a guy with a wall full of certificates that can't figure out what is happening with a piece of gear.

Next time I'm in Texas.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom