want a new sony video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Lost a video camera/housing to the great Sea God and need to replace it. Have looked at Sony's website and was just wondering if anyone had stories about the TRV 18 and/or the TRV 27. those are the two I am choosing between basically because I need to get this system replaced and I just don't want to search around anymore. Also, I have a TRV 17 and assume the batteries etc are compatico.

Thanks for your help :)

The DCR-TRV17 uses the same "M" series LI batteries as the DCR-TRV18 and DCRTRV27. I guess the deciding factors between choosing the 18 or the 27 would be whether you would benefit from the features the 27 has over the 18. Would the higher resolution stills that you can get with the 27 or the larger LCD viewscreen of the 27 be features that you would use or benefit from ?

Screen size doesn't matter to me really. Better image quality is always better, though. Do you know if the difference is worth the difference in price?

The two cameras don't look that different on the spec sheets...other than a bit of better res...

The 27 has the Megapixel CCD, which gives 520 horizontal lines of resolution as compared to the 18's 500. When comparing the two, the difference isn't easily noticed, but on some televisions with the capability to display higher quality images, such as an HDTV ready (Digital) set, you can notice subtle differences. If you don't plan on showing the video on a digital TV, IMHO, I think the 18 would be a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom