Wall Drift Dives; Is Coz The Only Spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TroyM

Reaction score
My experience is fairly limited. I've only dove Coz, Oahu, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman. I fell in love with the drift dives in Coz right away though. Are there any other places in the Caribbean besides Cozumel where these types of dives are consistently available?

If so, what are some of the better locales?

I've had four other areas that I've done wall or seamount drift dives at. One- is on Maui at Molokini Crater, two- diving out of Hurgada in the Red Sea, three- while in Australia diving at shark reef, and four- diving from Star Dancer out of New Britain in Papua New Guinea. Most of the dives done at these places did not have current or drift dives but there were days and locations where we did have drift dive days.

TroyM:
Are there any other places in the Caribbean besides Cozumel where these types of dives are consistently available?
caymaniac:
I've had four other areas that I've done wall or seamount drift dives at. One- is on Maui at Molokini Crater, two- diving out of Hurgada in the Red Sea, three- while in Australia diving at shark reef, and four- diving from Star Dancer out of New Britain in Papua New Guinea. Most of the dives done at these places did not have current or drift dives but there were days and locations where we did have drift dive days.
Not really in the Caribbean though !

Bubble Junky is correct I haven't found any other "drift" dives in the Western Caribbean to be anywhere close to Cozumel....I have been in other places in the Caribbean that they call a drift dive but I didn't think is was much of a drift dive very mild current....

There is some drift diving in St. Lucia, like the "Superman's Flight" site, but it's very different from Coz. Although the current can be ripping, it's not a wall, but a steep slope, the viz is not as good, and the sea life is different. There are lots of smaller critters.

Belize, We stayed at Hamanasi which is on the mainland. All the dives were drift, the current wasn't ripping the week I was there as it is in Coz but Coz isn't always ripping either. Hamanasi has tree houses (about 12' off the ground) we stayed in that are very secluded and very nice & very large. A bat flew through our balcony while lying in the hammock of our deck. The food was good. You never handle your equipment. The crew cleaned it after each dive and hang it in the dive shop so you just showed up at the boat. Between dives they drop you on a Island to have snacks/lunch from their kitchen. You may want to try Florida, Ft lauderdale or Palm Beach has great drift diving. If you'd like more details let me know.

Not land based (really only available if you do a live-aboard), but I did Cay Sal Bank (very southern Bahamas, so not western Carribbean). Walls, Blue Holes galore. I did 25 dives that week and probably 20 of them were on the walls. The trick is that they don't start until @95 feet, so you have to be comfortable with relatively deeper dives. The walls and the life were amazing! I went out with a small local liveaboard, but I know Nekton does that route too....we saw them all week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom