Wall diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have tips for the best wall diving in the greater Caribbean?

Carol

Are you asking where is the best place in Caribbean to go for great wall diving?

If you are, I would suggest a liveaboard to Turks & Caicos. It is all wall diving.

Land-based best walls would be Little Cayman.

I mostly agree with Robint, but would say that the land based diving on Grand Turk has some fine wall diving as well. I believe that Island House is still in operation and while it has been awhile since I was there, I would reccomend it as a great place to stay.
Little Cayman is great too and I'd probably make the choice between there and Grand Turk based on the deal I could get.

The most obvious question is have you ever been to Cozumel? While throughly battered by Wilma a couple of years ago, the deep walls still hold their majesty. Despite or maybe because of the crowds, Cozumel is mighty fun overall and is a great deal.

Bloody

Bay

Wall

All the best, James

Also, great wll diving can be found on Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman, not just Little Cayman.
The North wall on Grand Cayman is terrific and has some great diving. Cayman Brac really is surrounded by walls all the way around since you are near the Cayman trench and is formed the same way Little Cayman was. Little Cayman has perhaps the most famous area known as Bloody Bay wall.
Off Provo, Turks and Caicos we have dove with Caicos Adventures who usaully takes divers to West Caicos where it is mostly wall diving.
In Hawaii on Maui there is and area called Molokini which is a remnant of a volcano where you can dive on the inside and off the backside whch is wall diving.
File0119.jpg
File0111.jpg

File0084.jpg

In addition to those listed above, Roatan, Honduras offers some excellent wall diving.

Is a live aboard almost a necessity there then in Caicos to see the wall ?

Or you just like it so you can be nearby a wall all the time ?
CAn we just stay onshore and get tons of boat dives done on the wall anyways ?

A liveaboard is not necessary in Provo but makes it much easier. Most dives are a long boat ride for land based ops, about 30-45 minutes each way. If you go to Grand Turk the boat rides are only 5 minutes. Shore dives from Provo are not a good option and on Grand Turk I think you would still have a long surface swim. Maybe doable but not advisable.

Is a live aboard almost a necessity there then in Caicos to see the wall ?

Or you just like it so you can be nearby a wall all the time ?
CAn we just stay onshore and get tons of boat dives done on the wall anyways ?

the advantage of doing a liveaboard is that you can get in 4-5 dives per day where if you are doing land-based you will only get in 2 dives per day. Also, I don't think the land-based can get out as far south as the liveaboards so you won't be doing all of the same sites.

:D

SO, not im hesitating to choose Caicos over Bonaire.. So thats the big decision, choose Caicos for its wall diving, even tho its far out there ? Bonaire has close dives.. we dont like long boat rides... But also I dont want to miss out on the great wall diving at Caicos. We did do some great wall diving at G Cayman. West side. Was hoping to do some great wall diving again... which should be best , Caicos or Bonaire ?

Back
Top Bottom