Wall Dive that's also Shore Dive? (partly an xpost)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janthina

New
Reaction score
I have put much of this in the general travel section, so it is a bit of a cross post. I'm putting it here because I know, as I mention further down, the caribbean species best. Also, I'm mostly familiar with the Bahamas. The key for me here is to be able to dive when I want to, and to not be locked in with a boat/hired staff kind of deal or schedule.

Howdy,

I'm looking for blackcap basslets, the fairy basslet's (or royal gramma) more somber-colored cousins. The last place I saw them was on the Conception Island wall. They seem to take the niche of the fairy basslets at a specific depth. As I recall it was between 90 - 110 feet.

I want to find them again. I'd like to view them on a wall, one with good clarity. I'd like to get an idea of the lower end of their range. So even if I can't dive down that far, if the water is clear, I might be able to eyeball it.

Yeah, it sounds nutty. But I've gone back to school (finally) to study marine biology and I'm trying to start thinking of some research ideas. I'm interested in distribution of related species at various depths. Obviously the fairys and the blackcaps have it set up so that they don't compete with each other.

As I rule, I prefer the invertebrates. But dang, these fish are super visible. I can get an idea of what's going on with them without needing to poke into every crevice.

I want to be able to dive on my own schedule, so don't want to be locked into boat dives. Ideally, I'm looking for a wall dive that goes down good and deep that is easily accessible from the shore. I want warm water and good visibility. I can live with some currents, but I'd rather not do a full blown drift dive as I am going to be taking notes. LOL. No sense looking up from your slate to be in a whole different section of wall.

The fish I mention are Caribbean. I know Caribbean fauna best, so that's what popped to mind. And being in the Eastern USA, that is what is easiest for me. BUT, if you know of a killer wall somewhere else, please do tell. I can bone up on fauna and, if push comes to shove, I'll sell my car for the tickets. Or, more realistically, I'll put it in my file for down the road when I have grants.

Thanks for any and all input.

I have done lots of wall dives from shore on Grand Cayman. These are fairly easily accessible but you do need to swim aways. Might be a good use for a scooter.

The area around the Turtle farm is one of the easiest places to get out to the wall,although it is more of a 45 degree slope at this point. The North East coast has awesome walls that you can access from shore but is logistically more difficult,you will spend a lot of time driving tanks around . It would not be a good place to get hurt.

PM me if you want more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom