Wakulla Springs B-Tunnel Video (WKPP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
thought y’all might like to see the footage of Wakulla Springs’s B Tunnel the WKPP took last Friday.

Absolutely incredible cave passage. Surprisingly high flow, deep (I had 303’ as a max depth) but white walls and air-clear water.

David Doolette and I made a short visit into B Tunnel to maybe 5mins past the Monolith Room before doubling back and checking out C Tunnel for a bit. C is much bigger but with darker walls and floor. Very different feel. We wrapped up ~45mins in B/C with some reclining work from ABC Junction out to the restriction at 170’ for a 7hr dive.

Unfortunately A Tunnel is full of warm black water and with more rains in the forecast I think the Wakulla dive window is closing again.

Sunday was spent at Clearcut Sink. Conditions were pretty good at 40ft of vis and no flow. One team scootered down to Promise and another team swam to Venture and back.

A great weekend all around!

Nice. Another place I’ll never visit myself.

Your DPV rig has both running, so one is more or less a spare? Safer and easier to run them both instead of towing one?

And what is the vertically floating PVC pipe hanging midwater?

Nice. Another place I’ll never visit myself.

Your DPV rig has both running, so one is more or less a spare? Safer and easier to run them both instead of towing one?

And what is the vertically floating PVC pipe hanging midwater?
The dual XJ37 unit runs both simultaneously. It’s very stable for video and lighting. I haven’t personally used it yet but it seems wicked fast. If only one ran it would steer heavily to the side that wasn’t running. I wasn’t there on Friday till dinner time but I’m nearly certain Blake and Casey still towed a scooter. That’s pretty standard protocol. *edit: both were on dual units. No tow, but the dual unit has the ability to remove a single scooter or transfer the tow cord over to remove that steering bias if one dies. 4 scooters total between the team.

I don’t really know for sure what the floating PVC things are. I think they’re for survey but they were put in way before my time. I’ll try and find out.

Last edited:
Awesome video! This isn't what I would have ever expected from the descriptions I've heard of Wakulla- I guess I assumed it was all dark walls and never great visibility.

Awesome video! This isn't what I would have ever expected from the descriptions I've heard of Wakulla- I guess I assumed it was all dark walls and never great visibility.
Most of wakulla is low vis and dark walls. Only the spring tunnels are clear. A Tunnel is big dark low vis and not fun.

Good looking stretch of cave and some really nice quality video. Wish I could see it firsthand.

Most of the cave in the general area (not just from wakulla entrance) has the deep/dark reputation but there are many of sections that are anything but.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom