Wakatobi vs Banda vs Alor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Szymo1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're looking at some Indo alternatives. Done a fair bit of research so far but thoughts welcome on following. Tips on Wakatobi travel.. getting there, and actual diving (no Wakatobi resort info please). Banda, easier to get to, but what's it like diving, how far is the travel each day ( btw like reefs, big stuff, small, and even a little muck, good walls). Alor..I've kinda figured it out, has everything but it's just more expensive, so really just trying to weigh up cost vs quality of diving. We've done RA/Misool/Komodo/North Sulawesi/Bali. Have I missed any new good alternatives?

Bump

We're looking at some Indo alternatives. Done a fair bit of research so far but thoughts welcome on following. Tips on Wakatobi travel.. getting there, and actual diving (no Wakatobi resort info please). Banda, easier to get to, but what's it like diving, how far is the travel each day ( btw like reefs, big stuff, small, and even a little muck, good walls). Alor..I've kinda figured it out, has everything but it's just more expensive, so really just trying to weigh up cost vs quality of diving. We've done RA/Misool/Komodo/North Sulawesi/Bali. Have I missed any new good alternatives?
I think it depends how long you're away and if the trip is only about diving. For me, Alor and Raja are the jewels in the crown of Indonesian diving — I like Alor so much that I'm starting my divesaster there in a few days. In terms of places you might not have considered, I love Maratua, Kakaban, and Sangalaki too! I guess there's also the question of where you've been in the Bali area. My favourite sites are in Candi Dasa (Taked, Tepekong), even though so few people talk about it, and Blue Corner in Lembongan is great too. Can easily combine those with Lombok too if you want to mix it up. Belongas in Lombok is tricky to get to and has little infrastructure, but some of the sites are awesome. I'm a big fan of Gili Sarang and Manta Pot, which I prefer to The Cathedral and The Magnet (a bit hit and miss, and the visibility is usually rubbish). On the other side, Blue Marlin in Kuta goes to some nice sites, like Gamechanger (lovely coral). But the west is better. One thing to note is that several of those areas are tricky dives. The currents in Alor are VERY unpredictable and can be sketchy. Belongas isn't as bad as people make it out, just LOTS of surge. Can get very strong currents at some sites at Maratua and Kakaban too, as well as at Blue Corner of course (all a bit stronger than Komodo, if only in my experience). I've only done Banda briefly by liveaboard. It was good, but not my favourite. I'm afraid I haven't been to Wakatobi yet, so can't comment on that. Have heard it's nice, but not the best of the bunch. Hope that helps!

I think it depends how long you're away and if the trip is only about diving. For me, Alor and Raja are the jewels in the crown of Indonesian diving — I like Alor so much that I'm starting my divesaster there in a few days. In terms of places you might not have considered, I love Maratua, Kakaban, and Sangalaki too! I guess there's also the question of where you've been in the Bali area. My favourite sites are in Candi Dasa (Taked, Tepekong), even though so few people talk about it, and Blue Corner in Lembongan is great too. Can easily combine those with Lombok too if you want to mix it up. Belongas in Lombok is tricky to get to and has little infrastructure, but some of the sites are awesome. I'm a big fan of Gili Sarang and Manta Pot, which I prefer to The Cathedral and The Magnet (a bit hit and miss, and the visibility is usually rubbish). On the other side, Blue Marlin in Kuta goes to some nice sites, like Gamechanger (lovely coral). But the west is better. One thing to note is that several of those areas are tricky dives. The currents in Alor are VERY unpredictable and can be sketchy. Belongas isn't as bad as people make it out, just LOTS of surge. Can get very strong currents at some sites at Maratua and Kakaban too, as well as at Blue Corner of course (all a bit stronger than Komodo, if only in my experience). I've only done Banda briefly by liveaboard. It was good, but not my favourite. I'm afraid I haven't been to Wakatobi yet, so can't comment on that. Have heard it's nice, but not the best of the bunch. Hope that helps!
Very helpful, thanks. Some of your thoughts I've looked into a bit, and will some more. We are usually gone a month, and from what I hear Alor is front runner for next year, timing with hammerheads maybe. We like above water stuff as well. We also mix it with a destination that's easier travel wise, maybe Komodo (not been for a while), and I hear Flores is interesting. We usually finish in Bali, so that advise is useful too. Just need to wait on the flights coming out, but for now central Raja next month, and Sulawesi, can't wait. Ohh, Misool is still my favourite, but long days in a boat when you are land based! Thanks again.

Sounds good! Hammerheads in Alor by no means guaranteed, but there's a small chance at several sites (Munaseli, etc). And there's not much to do around Alor (I'm in Kupang as I type this, haha). Always the option to cross into East Timor though! And yeah, some lovely places in Flores! Anyway, enjoy the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom