Question Wakatobi Pelagian vs. Damai 1 Cenderawasih Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cisco_Pug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are narrowing down our final choice for our big dive trip. We will travel in July 2026 (teacher here - has to be summer). We can do 13 days on the Damai 1 - Cenderawasih Bay/Mapia OR the Wakatobi Pelagian for about $1,000 more. Travel-wise, for the Pelagian, we can fly into Bali and the Wakatobi Resort flies you on a private charter directly from Bali to their island. That is really appealing, as is only 10 people on board to dive with. But, not sure how the diving compares.

Anyone have experience with either ship/location with info that can help us make a decision between the two.

Pelagian is a nice, solid converted yacht. The diving is varied--the turnaround point is Pasarwajo, on Buton Island, which is a pretty, small city outside the National Park. We did three or four dives there, including a not-bad muck site and a trashy fishing-boat pier absolutely teeming with life, including a large colony of mandarinfish--and maybe a dozen other species. The cruise directors double as guides, and guides from the resort also rotate on the vessel. They know the dive sites well, there is varied topography, and the night dives are not to be missed (but I always say that). But I believe all Pelagian sailings are for seven nights/six dive days, so if the Pelagian is more expensive for half the number of dive days, that's a major difference, eh? I wouldn't worry at all about the number of divers: Pelagian has max 10 (and is almost always full), divided into two groups, so there are usually 4-5 per panga. Damai sails with a maximum of 14, but according to the website usually 12, divers in three groups, so the chances are good that your group would be 3-4 per guide.

A couple of other considerations. The Wakatobi charter planes, at least a few years ago, were not luxurious--just cramped regional jets. But getting there is easy, and if you had time to dive in Bali, then you'd see top-tier muck, along with some good reefs, at Tulamben/Amed, plus the culture of Bali is unique and fascinating.

I'd study what @Cali_diver had to say about the Cenderawasih/Mapia trip, especially their observations about Mapia, on a good day, being on a level with R4. A bit of Googling makes it sound very interesting. Getting to Nabire looks like a bit of a challenge, but manageable with patience, good humor, and building in plenty of time.

You've narrowed it down to two very interesting options. If the peak whale shark experience is appealing, than the longer, cheaper Damai trip looks great (in fact, tempting).

Pelagian is a nice, solid converted yacht. The diving is varied--the turnaround point is Pasarwajo, on Buton Island, which is a pretty, small city outside the National Park. We did three or four dives there, including a not-bad muck site and a trashy fishing-boat pier absolutely teeming with life, including a large colony of mandarinfish--and maybe a dozen other species. The cruise directors double as guides, and guides from the resort also rotate on the vessel. They know the dive sites well, there is varied topography, and the night dives are not to be missed (but I always say that). But I believe all Pelagian sailings are for seven nights/six dive days, so if the Pelagian is more expensive for half the number of dive days, that's a major difference, eh? I wouldn't worry at all about the number of divers: Pelagian has max 10 (and is almost always full), divided into two groups, so there are usually 4-5 per panga. Damai sails with a maximum of 14, but according to the website usually 12, divers in three groups, so the chances are good that your group would be 3-4 per guide.

A couple of other considerations. The Wakatobi charter planes, at least a few years ago, were not luxurious--just cramped regional jets. But getting there is easy, and if you had time to dive in Bali, then you'd see top-tier muck, along with some good reefs, at Tulamben/Amed, plus the culture of Bali is unique and fascinating.

I'd study what @Cali_diver had to say about the Cenderawasih/Mapia trip, especially their observations about Mapia, on a good day, being on a level with R4. A bit of Googling makes it sound very interesting. Getting to Nabire looks like a bit of a challenge, but manageable with patience, good humor, and building in plenty of time.

You've narrowed it down to two very interesting options. If the peak whale shark experience is appealing, than the longer, cheaper Damai trip looks great (in fact, tempting).
Good points. I think I was just a little gun-shy of pulling the trigger on such a big vacation. There are so many choices, I was finding it quite overwhelming. We've only ever dove in the Caymans, Roatan, and Cozumel. We decided though, to go to somewhere amazing while we are healthy and able, because life is too short not to. I'm a researcher (some would say over-researcher) and the options were so numerous. But thanks to you and the others who have responded to my various posts with all of your helpful information, we did it. We booked the Damai 1 for a July 2026 sailing to Cenderawasih Bay/Mapia. God willing, we'll make it back again to see more of beautiful Indonesia in the years that follow.

The level of service on the Damai is top notch btw. I have also had some dealings with the owner and he seems like a stand-up guy (don’t want to get into the details , but we were both having to deal with the mess created by a third -party and I was quite impressed with how the owner of the Damai handled the situation)

The level of service on the Damai is top notch btw. I have also had some dealings with the owner and he seems like a stand-up guy (don’t want to get into the details , but we were both having to deal with the mess created by a third -party and I was quite impressed with how the owner of the Damai handled the situation)
Good to know! Thank you! We're looking forward to this trip!

I am a lifelong customer of Damai because of the way they have dealt with problems in the past! They treat their customers like they want to keep you forever! It also doesn't hurt that every time I go on another boat I can't help but miss how they spoil you on the Damai!!

I am a lifelong customer of Damai because of the way they have dealt with problems in the past! They treat their customers like they want to keep you forever! It also doesn't hurt that every time I go on another boat I can't help but miss how they spoil you on the Damai!!
Sounds like we made a really good choice 😊

@Cisco_Pug

Lots of good feedback already provided, so I'll just add this:

We've been on both boats (and been on similar itineraries) - the Damai boat is better overall than the Pelagian, but it's fairly close. The Damai is a little more comfortable, and definitely benefits from the native, handcrafted construction (if that matters). Service is also slightly better...

I would argue none of this really matters (given that both boats are very good) - it's the diving that is the differentiator here. The whale shark experience (snorkeling) in Cenderawasih Bay is world class (blue water, usually very good vis., multiple large sharks around, lengthy opportunities to be in the water). We've been to Cenderawasih twice, and looking to go back again in a couple of years.

The extended area that the Pelagian dives is very good, offering experiences you can't get from the resort (which is also fantastic). This is really good Indonesian diving, but you aren't going to come across anything "big" (other than large schools of fish, and some of the healthiest coral you can find in Indonesia). You go to Cenderawasih for the whalesharks...

The other diving around Cenderawasih Bay is good, and for someone who hasn't been elsewhere in Indonesia you likely won't realize there is even better diving elsewhere in Indonesia as well. The diving around Mapia is very good (and can be great).

Go for the experience, the boat, the diving, and most of all - go for the whalesharks. You will be diving in an area that sees only a few hundred divers a year. One warning: since my wife and I first started diving in the Coral Triangle we haven't been back to the Carribean in ~20 years. It's both addictive, and so signicantly more diverse that it makes many other places pale by comparison. It is much farther to travel, more expensive, etc. but it's worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom