Wait, where did my thread go AND what happened to that forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As previously announced we are in the process of Spring Cleaning. For years ScubaBoard has grown and grown – we’re at nearly a million posts but with all the good growth some bad has followed. Recently many users have come to us and said that they or a friend was simply overwhelmed by the Board and unable to figure out where to start. To help simplify things and to make ScubaBoard easier for you we have merged, removed, and renamed countless forums. The biggest shift is a change to our overall forum structure in which we have moved our categories to be in the order they should be in – not a discretionary one like they were.

What does this mean for you?

Well, to put it simply this is a good thing. Yes there will be a few things to get use to, yes change can be annoying but guess what – your links still work, your bookmarks haven’t changed and every thread is still on the board. A major part of this change has also been to separate Scuba from Non-Scuba. Most people come here to discuss, learn about and share information on diving and while we are huge fans of the Non-Diving related part of our community it is our belief that SCUBA should come first and foremost. Therefore we have moved all but the essential forums out of our first category and renamed it to “matrix”, this is our business forum for ScubaBoard stuff. Next on the list is Scuba Diving Central which holds the bulk of our scuba related forums including all of the marine sciences and underwater photography forums. After that is the equipment area which remains relatively unchanged and is followed by the Travel & Dive clubs forums which while unchanged have been merged into one forum. Finally we have the marketplace forums and the community forums which now include fitness, women’s views (scuba related and non-scuba related) and several other non-diving related forums.

That’s all great but where is my post?

Odds are you post is now where it should have been. We deleted very few if any posts in our cleanup but instead moved them to the appropriate forum. To find a post either search for it by title or view your profile and look up all of your past posts. Don’t worry, in a few days you won’t even notice the changes except of course that it will be easier to find what you’re looking for!

What’s the next step?

Well, that really depends. We have completed a huge amount of forum reorganization and order changes – but more may have to be done. Our next scheduled modification is to move our servers to a larger cluster for better speed and scalability which we will need over the coming summer months. This change will take place within the next week so keep an eye out for more updates. We may also make a few minor changes here and there during the next few days as we find typos and forums that were not properly moved but that should be rare if I did my job properly. :wink:

Should you have questions or want some help finding your way around feel free to contact a moderator or post to our Site Support forum. As always, we are here because you are here and this, as with all updates, is being done at your request to make ScubaBoard a better place for you!

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

South America forum be better titled as Latin America? If I'm looking for info on diving Nicaragua's Corn Island or Costa Rica's Pacific coast, my first thought would not be to look in South America since they geographically aren't part of South America.
Latin America covers all the Spanish and Portugese speaking countries in both Central and South America.

DiversMom:
South America forum be better titled as Latin America? If I'm looking for info on diving Nicaragua's Corn Island or Costa Rica's Pacific coast, my first thought would not be to look in South America since they geographically aren't part of South America.
Latin America covers all the Spanish and Portugese speaking countries in both Central and South America.

I'm confused about the whole thing, but hey- listen to Mom, willya?

I'm going to leave now and try to find the Bay Islands.

Let me know what happens next.

Maybe best to just title 'Central and South America' - I had to hunt a bit too.

We just removed the title Central & South America after some other geography experts pointed out that it wasn't a proper grouping. We are now going off of the standard mapping, with the caribbean floating out there by its self.

Tech Admin:
We just removed the title Central & South America after some other geography experts pointed out that it wasn't a proper grouping. We are now going off of the standard mapping, with the caribbean floating out there by its self.

Latin America. Central America and Mexico are geographicaly (physically speaking) part of North America while the Spanish and Portugese speaking countries in South America geographicaly on that continent. Culturally speaking, Mexico and Central America (excluding Belize) are grouped with South America to form Latin America. The islands of the Caribbean are generally grouped together to form their own region with some crossover into being covered by both regions for the Spanish speaking islands.

I would think a logical forum would be
Latin America with sub forums of Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Just MHO

Tech Admin:

Your description of Greater Carribean AND South America both list Belize. There are postings in both places on Belize. What is your intention?

To confuse you of course. :wink:
I'll fix it just as soon as I've figured out how to handle the wonderful central/latin/north/southern/carribean regions.

Tech Admin:
Our next scheduled modification is to move our servers to a larger cluster...
You may want to check out our boat on a weekend if you're looking for a large cluster.

Tech Admin:
To confuse you of course. :wink:
I'll fix it just as soon as I've figured out how to handle the wonderful central/latin/north/southern/carribean regions.

:biggrin2:

Back
Top Bottom