[w/ Update]Reg serviced at scubatoys. But reg still freeflows, and SPG is flooded after 1st dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean by the regulator freeflows? Does it do it when you are breathing on it or just when you press the purge button. Regulators are supposed to free flow in the "dive" setting and the airway is unobstructed. They should stop when you put obstruct the air flow, for instance, by putting your finger in the mouthpiece. If it doesn't stop after that then you have a problem.

After being pressurized, and after taking a first breathe.

The SPG flooding is probably not their fault. In fact it might not be flooded in the way you think. The only way water can get into the actual innards of the SPG, where the pressurized air goes, is if water gets into the regulator 1st stage. Because if there was a leak that would allow water in, there would have been a motherload of bubbles coming out one end of the HP hose or the other. I'm assuming you pressurized the regulator before getting in the water and didn't toss it in a rinse tank with no dust cap on, correct?

I don't know the details about how all SPGs are built, but if it really looks filled with water on the face, but when you pressurize it you don't hear a loud hiss, and if the 1st stage appears to be dry (look at the filter) then it's probably just a faulty SPG that leaked around the plastic lens. If you bought it there, they'll replace it.

The freeflow on a newly serviced reg is their fault.

yeah this made me think.
So I did dive with it.

If we make the assumption that the SPG came to me dry, which I HOPE is true, then water must've gotten in during/after that dive.

So
1 everything is pressurized before entering the water.
2 I did dip the whole set, with a Yoke dusk cap secured, into rinse tank and swirled like 5 circles. Total duration is like maybe 5 seconds.
3 when I got home, this is pressurized with pony and put in fresh water.

So the only possible source of water seems to be 2?

The SPG is installed into the HP hose loosely (I was able to hand loosen it), and with either a LP or HP hose oring attached at the base of the SPG MNPT outlet.

Are spg supposed to be installed with a hose oring? The DGX guide video seems to install a spg without an oring.

yeah this made me think.
So I did dive with it.

If we make the assumption that the SPG came to me dry, which I HOPE is true, then water must've gotten in during/after that dive.

So
1 everything is pressurized before entering the water.
2 I did dip the whole set, with a Yoke dusk cap secured, into rinse tank and swirled like 5 circles. Total duration is like maybe 5 seconds.
3 when I got home, this is pressurized with pony and put in fresh water.

So the only possible source of water seems to be 2?

The SPG is installed into the HP hose loosely (I was able to hand loosen it), and with either a LP or HP hose oring attached at the base of the SPG MNPT outlet.

Are spg supposed to be installed with a hose oring? The DGX guide video seems to install a spg without an oring.
Are you saying the SPG was missing the spool? The spool has two tiny o-rings on it.

Or are you talking about the end of the hose connected to the reg? There is an o-ring at that end that should be visible.

Are you saying the SPG was missing the spool? The spool has two tiny o-rings on it.

Or are you talking about the end of the hose connected to the reg? There is an o-ring at that end that should be visible.

No. It indeed has the spool.
But in addition to the spool, an o ring was placed here:

Attachments

• E1CC9A6D-3FB3-408D-A0C2-C3626EDA9376.jpeg
    E1CC9A6D-3FB3-408D-A0C2-C3626EDA9376.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 77
The o-ring is superfluous and is there to keep the nut from moving without having to uber tighten it.

Many SPGs are fluid-filled from the factory. You're probably seeing air in there. It's not ScubaToys fault if it's leaking.

ScubaToys is a solid operation and they will make things right. Don't give up on them yet!

That o-ring is not exactly superfluous, it could protect the threads from water intrusion. None of my SPGs have one there, but it's a good idea.

Given what you said about the way you pressurized before diving, the only way any water got in the SPG was through a leak in the non-pressure part of the SPG, like a faulty seal between the lens and the case. That's definitely something scubatoys will replace. Especially since you're sending the reg back, they will be able to see right away if there was any water that got into the 1st stage. It's very unlikely.

Update:

Called scubatoys, Rick has been helping out all alone since we found out the free flow issue since last month and he has been super helpful and understanding all alone. They do use outside techs to service the regs so that part is somewhat outside of his control.

We couldn't figure out what had happened.
But he has offered to refund me back the service charge plus the parts charge, including the price for a sidemount set that I had serviced which does not appear to have any problems.

The additional refund should cover the cost of a new SPG in this instance.
I'm at least pretty satisfied on how they handled the situations from a customer service POV.

That o-ring is not exactly superfluous, it could protect the threads from water intrusion. None of my SPGs have one there, but it's a good idea.

Given what you said about the way you pressurized before diving, the only way any water got in the SPG was through a leak in the non-pressure part of the SPG, like a faulty seal between the lens and the case. That's definitely something scubatoys will replace. Especially since you're sending the reg back, they will be able to see right away if there was any water that got into the 1st stage. It's very unlikely.

Yeah I tried search online and couldn't find any guidance over how to put spg in correctly.

If you see this video:
They don't put an oring.

But nevertheless, if I were to put in an oring there, should I still tighten it hard, versus say just barely hand-tight?

should I still tighten it hard
Seat the nut and give it a "scootch". Like maybe a 1/32 of a turn. It all looks strong, but mostly, it's just plated brass to keep the verdigris at bay. Remember, these o-rings seal radially. You can't improve the seal by tightening the nut any more.

They don't put an oring.
You're not going to cause a problem, but it's probably not going to keep the threads dry either.

BTW, glad it worked out with ScubaToys. They are a great operation.

It might keep sand out, which is good. FWIW, the spool is the one place you can use too much grease. Too small o-rings and the bad plating inside the SPG can cause it to seize up. You don't want it oozing out, but no need to be too sparing either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom