[w/ Update]Reg serviced at scubatoys. But reg still freeflows, and SPG is flooded after 1st dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did my research and it seemed to me that this is a reputable shop on this forum?
Is this sort of thing expected?

I had reached out to them about the reg and they said they'd redo it.
But I just found out about the SPG today, which makes me double think if I want them to touch my regs ever again.

I'm pretty furious at this point. The SPG is probably wasted?

Update 07/24:

Called scubatoys, Rick has been helping out all alone and he has been super helpful and understanding all alone. They do use outside techs to service the regs so that part is somewhat outside of his control.

We couldn't figure out what had happened.
But he has offered to refund me back the service charge plus the parts charge, including the price for a sidemount set that I had serviced which does not appear to have any problems.

The additional refund should cover the cost of a new SPG in this instance.
I'm at least pretty satisfied on how they handled the situations from a customer service POV.

And going to ask Rslinger to fix my reg. :)

Like this?

full.jpg

Get in touch with rsingler instead

I did my research and it seemed to me that this is a reputable shop on this forum?
Is this sort of thing expected?

But I just found out about the SPG today, which makes me double think if I want them to touch my regs ever again.

rsingler took care of my D420 as well. no one better than him

The SPG flooding is probably not their fault. In fact it might not be flooded in the way you think. The only way water can get into the actual innards of the SPG, where the pressurized air goes, is if water gets into the regulator 1st stage. Because if there was a leak that would allow water in, there would have been a motherload of bubbles coming out one end of the HP hose or the other. I'm assuming you pressurized the regulator before getting in the water and didn't toss it in a rinse tank with no dust cap on, correct?

I don't know the details about how all SPGs are built, but if it really looks filled with water on the face, but when you pressurize it you don't hear a loud hiss, and if the 1st stage appears to be dry (look at the filter) then it's probably just a faulty SPG that leaked around the plastic lens. If you bought it there, they'll replace it.

The freeflow on a newly serviced reg is their fault.

Rob can fix the 420, a guess is the lever is adjusted to high. Halocline has the SPG covered.

What do you mean by the regulator freeflows? Does it do it when you are breathing on it or just when you press the purge button. Regulators are supposed to free flow in the "dive" setting and the airway is unobstructed. They should stop when you put obstruct the air flow, for instance, by putting your finger in the mouthpiece. If it doesn't stop after that then you have a problem.

What do you mean by the regulator freeflows? Does it do it when you are breathing on it or just when you press the purge button. Regulators are supposed to free flow in the "dive" setting and the airway is unobstructed. They should stop when you put obstruct the air flow, for instance, by putting your finger in the mouthpiece. If it doesn't stop after that then you have a problem.
Great point!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom