Vytec vs. Air Z nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartiniTime

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
getting ready to buy one of the two, but I cannot decide between them.

I have read all the threads i can find on them, but still no clear consesus.

might net some specific answers...

I own and have a few dives on the Vytec....

Whatcha wanna know?

Why not go out and find a Dive Shop or fellow Diver with the computers you are after, and take them for a test dive, see what works for you.
Persoanlly I am a Fan of the Uwatec

Cheers
Chris

I'm looking at the same problem.

My understanding is, that VYTEC has at least two advantages:

. Gas switching DURING dives for the Vytec, e.g. different bottom and deco mixes. May or may not be of use for you
. Hoseless integration is optional on Vytec. Very good if you on a tighter budget. You can buy the Vytec without the transmitter and still have the option to add it later

Regards

Ray

Diveaway...

That's correct (gas switching and hoseless).

Other features I am coming to like...

-Well laid out display
-conservatism of the RGBM model
-Dive simulation feature
-easy to read display
-doesn't "freak out" if you on a planned decompression dive and you run out of NDL time
-easy to push buttons

Do you guys if either lock out if a dive profile is broken?

I was also wondering if the issue with micro bubble supression, and not showing the NDL time is a problem with the Air Z like it is with the smart com (I think the other thread said it was the either the smart com or pro)?

Also wondering about battery changes, I know you cannot change the uwatec, but you can change the suunto?

I also thought you could change gasses mid dive with the uwatec, I'll check again, that would be an issue if I could not.

THE FOLLOWING POST DISCUSSES INFORMATION ABOUT PLANNED DECOMPRESSION DIVING AND THE USE OF DIFFERENT GAS MIXTURES IN SUCH DIVING.

:nono:DO NOT ENGAGE IN THIS FORM OF DIVING OR USE OF DIFFERENT GASSES DURING A DIVE UNTIL YOU HAVE RECIEVED THE PROPER TRAINING FROM AN ACCEDITED AGENCY AND EXPERIENCED INSTRUCTOR. IT'S DANGEROUS STUFF TO DO ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT TRAINING AND CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY INCLUDING DEATH

ALSO NOTE THAT I HAVE ONLY RECENTLY COMPLETED MY TRAINING IN THIS TYPE OF DIVING. SO THERE MIGHT BE AN UNINTENTIONAL MISTAKE IN MY THINKING AND WHAT I'VE WRITTEN.

AGAIN, SEEK PROPER INSTRUCTION BEFORE EMBARKING ON THIS AVENUE OF DIVING.

First, let's talk in generalities...

According to my TDI instructors, if you are performing ANY planned decompression diving and blow through the ascent profile that the computer has determined, it will lock you out.

And based upon what my little bit of research has determined, this applies to all computers. (except perhaps the VR3, of which I have no experience with other than vicariously through this board)

Many divers doing decompression diving often use software to create ascent profiles that will minimize their time in the water performing decompression. From what I have been told, when you compare these profiles to what the computer on your wrist is saying, the "pre-cut" profiles often have you at a shallower depth sooner and for shorter times. When you follow your pre-cut plan, then you will violate the computer's recommendations and it will lock you out.

You also must remember that divers doing decompression diving will use different mixtures of EAN to both improve their safety margins and to reduce their deco times. Most of the computers out there are not capable of taking these gas switches into account. The only ones that I am aware of that can are the Vytec, Nitek3, and the VR3. These computers can be told that you've switched to a richer mix of EAN and recompute the ascent profile much like the desktop software packages can.

Single gas computers cannot understand that you've switched to a richer mixture and are now following a different "gameplan" to take advantage of the gas switch.

From my understanding, locking you out to gauge mode is the computer's way of telling you that you ignored what it told you and that for your own safety, you should not dive and it won't encourage you to dive by displaying NDL's or computing the ascent profile on future dives.

Just like I prefer having a conservative computer, I like the idea that my computer would lock out if I ignored what it was saying. In my view, by ignoring, I'm skating beyond the desired edge of safety that caused me to purchase the computer in the first place. In other words, I look upon locking out as a way of protecting me as a good thing.

Hopefully you will as well.

Now for some specifics about the Vytec.

The Vytec is a very new kid on the block with regards to mult-EANx gas diving. And I am just a "new" diver into this realm. So unfortunately, I am not yet qualified to answer questions on how the Vytec performs on this type of dive (but hope to be very soon).

Also I have not come across that many multi-EANx divers who have the Vytec and I can pick their brains.

But to answer your question, YES, the Vytec will lock you out to gauge mode if you ignore it's computer ascent profile and remain above it's computed ceiling for longer than 3 minutes.

Micro Bubble supression

One way of supressing Microbubbles is to follow the deep stop philosophy. I have used the simulator feature of the Vytec to discover how Deep Stops affected the ascent profile. What I discovered that as you stayed at 100, 90, 80, 70, etc feet for 1 minute, the ascent time would not increase any more (or would decrement very slowly) and the require deco ceiling would drift upwards toward 20 feet at a reasonable pace.

Unfortunately I don't own any of the deco software packages, so I can't compare to what they would compute.

Additionally, until we can do a head to head and controlled data gathering dive with both the SmartCom and the Vytec (and any other computer we want to add to mix), it would be difficult for any of us to comment on how the effectiveness of micro-bubble suppression compares between computers when using their displayed ascent profiles.

Battery Changes

The Vytec will allow you to change the battery yourself.

Gas Swithcing computers

As stated earlier, the only computers I am aware of that will allow you to indicate that you have switched breathing gasses are the Suunto Vytec, the Dive-Rite Nitek3, and the OMS/Delta P VR3.

MartiniTime:
The Air Z doesn't have "microbubble suppression" like the Smart, so it doesn't have the same display 'issue' as the Smart.

Mark.

appreciate the reply gentlemen, thank you.

I am going to go with the vytec, dispite the recent recall. Now I just need to decide if I want pay the extra moneys for air integrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom