Vyper download failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 2005 Vyper which has worked fine until the last couple of years. On my most recent dive trip, last June of 2018, the computer worked fine in the water. However, when I have tried to download the Suunto dive manager, the software on my laptop computer reads the dive computer but finds no dives to download. Before I bail out and start thinking about a new computer, does Suunto have any suggestions, in that the dive computer seems to work fine in the water during dives.

Are you using DM5? If so, that could be your problem. DM5 is an atrocious piece of software. I had a Vyper Air that would do the same thing with DM5 but would work fine with Subsurface. If you haven't used Subsurface before, I would suggest trying it before panicking and buying another computer. It's a free download for about all platforms and has mobile apps as well with cloud storage.

But then again, your computer is 14 years old. A computer failure is a possibility. But check it out with Subsurface first.

Actually, I am using DM 3.1 on purpose, because I don't trust 4 or 5. Interestingly, After I posted this thread, I tried once again and the laptop read the dives and I have been able to download them! Don't ask me what happened, but it worked. First time since last summer, when I last tried to download the dives. I really don't want to get a new computer based on how little I dive [once a year and maybe a couple at Xmas time], but if the thing has gone wonky, then I have no real choice. In that it did correctly download, and it worked properly during my last trip in June 2018, I think I'll defer replacing it.

As to Subsurface, I think I looked at it a couple of years ago, but I'll take another look at it. I'm always trying to find an efficient way to record dive note contemporaneously -- like right after dives. Maybe the mobile apps have something to offer me.

I've been using Subsurface for at least a couple of years now. I love it. It was due to circumstances like you mention that I stopped using DM5.

And it sounds like you would really like the mobile app. Depending on the phone you have, you may be able to plug a download cable into it and download your dives direct to your phone at the dive site. Unfortunately, my phone isn't compatible with that feature. But I download to my desktop, save to the cloud, then I can update my dive log on my phone from the cloud.

Yeah, DM5 has got problems. Suunto ....connections....have problems. Make sure they are clean and well connected. Takes a long time to shake hands, connect and download.

It's that d*mn cable. Clean the contacts (both on the computer and the cable) with some isopropyl alcohol, then wiggle it just a little bit. That has always been a problem for me and this always works.

Unfortunately, it's moot now. On my June Grand Cayman trip, the Vyper failed completely, just before a dive. While sitting on the boat, all geared up, the computer thought I was at 15 feet. Later, I even went to the trouble of pulling the battery to restart. No joy.

So, any recommendations for an air/ nitrox computer to replace my dead 2005 Vyper?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom