Vyper Air Sleep Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had new batteries put into my wrist computer and my sending unit. I went to use them on a dive and the Vyper kept saying FAIL. I tried my D4i and it said No COM. I figured the sending unit was bad, but I just read in the manual that if you do not use it for a while, then it will go into sleep mode and you need to clear the code and re-establish the communication again. My question is at what point in time of not using it does the computer go into sleep mode? Also, how do you know that it is a sleep mode problem and not a component failure?

The only thing I know is that I've had my Vyper Air fail connection a few times prior to the start of a dive (after not having used it for awhile), and clearing the code and re-pairing it worked for me. I can't tell you how long it takes for that to become necessary, but the process of clearing the code and re-pairing was pretty quick and painless and seemed to work every time for me.

The code on the transmitter should not change after prolonged periods of not using it.

But, it can change if someone connects the reg to a tank, pressurizes it, then purges it, then pressurizes again in about 10 seconds.
(Ex: changing the reg from one tank to another to check PSI on each tank can accidentally change the code on the tx)

If you did not pair it after the batteries got changed, it is possible the code changed and the tx and DC had not been re-paired.

As for component failure...If you re-pair and it then works correctly, then that was your issue.
If you re-pair and it still doesn't work, then there's something else wrong.

Last edited:
Hmmmm . . . my Suunto transmitter seems to pick a new code every time I pressurize the 1st stage.

Interesting to hear this is not the expected behavior. . .

I had new batteries put into my wrist computer and my sending unit. I went to use them on a dive and the Vyper kept saying FAIL. I tried my D4i and it said No COM. I figured the sending unit was bad, but I just read in the manual that if you do not use it for a while, then it will go into sleep mode and you need to clear the code and re-establish the communication again. My question is at what point in time of not using it does the computer go into sleep mode? Also, how do you know that it is a sleep mode problem and not a component failure?

I have both a Vyper Air and a D4i, and have never experienced this. Even if my OC rig & transmitter have been sitting for awhile (month or 2, because I'm probably diving a rebreather). The transmitter doesn't "just decide" to change codes. Re-pairing is a simple process, as well. Also one other thing, turning your air on then off real quick CAN change the code, as that's how you do it. You also mentioned "new batteries" in your units; that might trigger a "fresh re-set".

Hi,
no conn / fail shows up if no data packages have been received, either because it's out of range, on another code or the pressure has not changed for more than 5' (energy saving). Provided the code is correct getting close to the transmitter and breathing from the regulator or purging will reestablish the connection. When in doubt repairing is the way to go...

br Hendrik

Back
Top Bottom