Vyper Air - How to lock new compass bearing while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael W

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

i recently bought a Vyper Air. After 10 dives with the Vyper i am really impressed with ease of use and the features. The transmitter works well, too.

The compass function allows to lock a bearing for navigation. This works well in the non-dive mode when you are out of the water by pressing the "select" button. The one thing i have not been able to figure out: How do you lock a new bearing while under water??? In the dive mode, the "select" button functions as a bookmarker... i have set plenty of bookmarks trying to lock a new bearing ;-)

Cheers
Michael

Hey Michael,

I've been using my Vyper Air for about 2 months now and after going on a few dives today, I was wondering why I cannot lock a bearing during a dive as well (I have also set a lot of bookmarks trying). I think this would be a useful feature as obviously things change while you're underwater, but in going through the manual a dozen times, I don't think you can. Maybe they thought this was a safety feature so you wouldn't accidentally change your locked bearing and head off in the wrong direction?

I don't know the answer, so I'm hoping Chris from Suunto will pop on here and answer the question for us. Good luck and enjoy your Vyper Air...it's a GREAT computer!

Bob

Hi all,

i recently bought a Vyper Air. After 10 dives with the Vyper i am really impressed with ease of use and the features. The transmitter works well, too.

The compass function allows to lock a bearing for navigation. This works well in the non-dive mode when you are out of the water by pressing the "select" button. The one thing i have not been able to figure out: How do you lock a new bearing while under water??? In the dive mode, the "select" button functions as a bookmarker... i have set plenty of bookmarks trying to lock a new bearing ;-)

Cheers
Michael

Section 4.3.2 of the Users Manual:

4.3.2. Locking a bearing
A bearing can be locked to help you follow a selected course, and directional arrows
point towards the locked bearing. The last locked bearing is stored and is available
the next time the compass is activated. In the DIVE mode the locked bearings are
also stored in the log.
TO LOCK A BEARING,
PRESS SELECT.
The Suunto Vyper Air also provides help for navigating square and triangular patterns,
as well as navigating a return heading. This is made possible by following graphical
symbols in the center of the compass display:

Suunto Compass.jpg

Table 4.1. Locked bearing symbols

Table 4.1 -a.jpgTable 4.1 - b.jpg

The "trick" is you have to be in compass mode to do this (IMHO quite a reasonable restriction)

Section 4.3.2 of the Users Manual:

The "trick" is you have to be in compass mode to do this (IMHO quite a reasonable restriction)

Thanks JohnN. That's understood, as (at least speaking for me) when I try to lock a bearing while diving, I am in compass mode (the compass is activated by holding down the Select button for a second or two). Once the compass is showing and I'm using it to navigate underwater, that is where we want the ability to "reset" the locked bearing, and I don't think the computer will let you do that. Like I said, I'm hoping Chris weighs in and can tell us one way or the other if you can set a locked bearing while diving.

Bob

Bob,

I apologize, I must have overlooked this thread. If you currently have a locked bearing in compass mode, all that you need to do to lock a new bearing is press the select button one time and the new bearing will appear on your display.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Thanks Chris, but that only seems to work in compass mode at the surface (i.e., not diving). When I'm at depth in compass mode (compass is showing during a dive), pressing the select button only sets a bookmark; it doesn't change the locked bearing.

Is there a solution to this? I have a Vyper Novo and cannot set a new bearing underwater. I called customer service and even tried to make a complaint but service is terrible and no one has been in touch. It’s been about two months since my initial contact with them.

There is a way to do it because I've done it but I can't at the moment remember how. I'll check it out this weekend and report back afterwards. I have the Vyper Novo but I'm pretty sure the Vyper Air works the same way.

I just got finished with a dive and with my Vyper Novo, when I press the left (select) button, it sets a bookmark AND resets the compass bearing. Tried it several times and it worked each time. Now when I go thru that dive profile and it brings up the bookmark, it tells me what the compass heading was that I set.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom