VT3 Dive time problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody have a problem where the computer tells you one bottom time, but the downloaded log says your bottom time was longer?

It appears that the log on the computer is showing less time EDT than the downloaded version. The diffference seems to be any time that was spent in shallow water. I'm guessing that the computer is not counting any time spent above 5 feet, where the downloaded profile does. Is there a fix for this?

I recently noted the Oceanic Log for my Pro Plus 2 that I downloaded my info to the program, entered it in my paper log, and then walked away. Next time I did the same thing with the new dives, and when I added my times, there was a difference to my overall bottom time. Come to find out that the software changed my bottom time but a min on a few dives. Not all the dives and not every time. Just some times. I have even taken the info from my computer, entered it in my log, went home to download, and the times are off a minute on most of the dives.

It makes my log look messy as I correct it each time to match the software. Some times I have to go back 8 or more dives to find the change. I think there needs to be an upgrade, again, of the Oceanic Log Software.

I spoke to Oceanic and they said that with the Versa Pro, there was a similar problem, but not with the VT3. The computer does not register anything shallower than 5 feet as part of the EDT, such as a surface swim. However, the software was still registering it as part of the dive. They sent me the following link to fix it. I haven't tried it yet.
http://pelagicservices.com/evaluation.php?f=Oceanlog_2.2.6_070109.exe

The link did not fix the "problem." After speaking with Oceanic, it looks like the computer is doing what it is supposed to be doing. The computer is tracking bottom time, but the software tracks all time spent in the water. The software was updated to allow download of the time spent on the surface (5 or less feet for 10 minutes or less) during a dive. The old software would not download the surface time during a dive if it was less than 10 minutes long, so if you surfaced to talk with your buddy, instructor, spot your boat, etc., the downloaded profile would not show this at all. The newer computers, such as the VT3 was updated to show this, but not on the computer, since it does not really count as bottom time. Pheewww.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom