VT3 Computer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

localdivah

Contributor
Reaction score
Shanghai mainly, Singapore, Tokyo, Beijing, Boston
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi --

I tried to post the following issue through the contact form on Oceanic's website, but got the error, "554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients" no matter what dept I chose. There's no simple email address listed -- not a great way to be introduced to Oceanic customer support.

---
I have a VT-3 computer with wireless transmitter that is about 1 year old and about 60 dives on it. During a recent liveaboard trip, it failed on me and I have not been able to solve it.

It failed during a wreck dive during which I descended no deeper than about 35m. At 17m, the computer read 37m, with accompanying warnings and then violations and alarms. As I started ascending, the computer continued to read increasing depths and even when I aborted the dive and was back on the boat, the computer continued logging the dive and read that I was varyingly between 50 and 90m. I dried off the contacts, depressurized the reg, but did not stop. Finally, I removed the battery and replaced it.

It did a countdown from 9999, then read, "ALT" and then went blank. I pressed a button and this happened again several times. About 30 min later, I pressed a button and it was now reading NORM, but continued reading as if I was in the middle of a dive. I removed the battery and replaced it again. This time, it seemed normal, and I started resetting the different settings, like setting Nitrox. Although I could change the FO level, when I pressed the A button to continue on, there was no reaction. It was like the A button no longer worked. I replaced the battery again, and this time after the countdown, the computer gave me a Serial number screen and no combination of buttons would get it to change to anything else, nor would it automatically shutdown or go blank. I replaced the battery again and got the serial number screen again. I even pressurized the reg and transmitter and still no change.

This is a little frustrating as I had to dive off gauges for the rest of the liveaboard (happened on day 4 of a 8 day trip). The manual was not able to help. I am an American, but live in Shanghai, China and don't know if you have any service techs here.

How can you help?

There is a phone number in the manual that came with your computer for technical support.
It is the best way to contact Oceanic. Email is a waste of time and using this forum is fine for some simple problems that we users have learned to work through. Your problem will require you to send your computer in for service. The good part is once you get in touch with Oceanic they are very responsive and turn around is generally very fast and the will expedite things if you need that service.

Phone is best, 510-562-0500, but also 800 # somewhere, but if you don't have Skype,
service@oceanicusa.com

I have always called, usually get someone immediately. Because of the readings, and you replacing batttery, I'm guessing it needs repl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom