VT - 100 and Western Dispatch Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

I plan on diving the VT-100 in the near future, but every time that I have tried to find the wreck in the past it has not worked out.

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to find the wreck and its current condition also would it be possible to swim out to the Western Dispatch and if anyone has any info regarding its condition and location.

Thanks
Dave

The books tell the heading is 330 degrees from the entry point. When I dove it I found the heading inaccurate. The books are probably not taking into account several years of magnetic drift. Here's how we found the wreck:

1. We stood in the entry point and mentally marked a reference point on the opposing shore at the other side of the bay that corresponded to a 330 degree track.

2. We surface swam about 100 to 150 meters -- or until we guesstimated that the bottom depth would be about 50-55 ft. We did the surface swim to ensure that we stayed on the 330 degree track. Before descended we visually verified our track by lining up our entry point with the visual reference point taken on step 1.

3. When we descended we found ourselves at a bottom depth of 45 feet. We headed out on the 330 course until we were at 55' bottom depth.

4. At 55' we turned north to follow a 50-55' depth contour. The book (see attachment) said to swim about 100 meters. To me it felt like a much longer swim. It felt like we were swimming for 5 mins or more with crappy vis and over a featureless muddy/sandy bottom. I was about to give up and give a turn-around signal when at the distance we were starting to see some shadows. Then all of sudden the wreck was there in front of our noses.

The wreck is very weathered. There's basically a few ribs and some bulkheads still standing. The rest are just pieces strewn around the bottom.

There's very interesting information about the history of the VT-100 and a little bit of the Western Dispatcher here. From what I've seen of the Western Dispatcher, it is all the way out by the opposing shores of the bay. It seems like a really long swim -- about 700 meters. Let me know how it goes if you try it out.

Attachments

• vt100.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 465
Slamfire,

Thanks for the advice for finding the wreck, and you were right the swim out along the bottom did feel a lot longer then what the book say's it would be, and i'am pretty sure that we only found it by pure luck.

We found what I think was the gun platform on the bow which has fallen on to its side and from there explored along the port side until the fuel tanks.

Then called it viz was just so poor and seemed to be getting worse also concerned about the condition of the wreck.

Planning to go back this fall when the water skying school is closed and the viz is better, with a camera.

Western Dispatcher looked way to far away to be worth the swim maybe I'll find a charter to get there.

In the past we've swam from the big boulder on shore (underwater) on the 330 heading and found a rope that ran in the same general direction for part of the way. At 55-60' I turned right and followed the contour. I do this because I am dominant on the right leg and natural skew towards the left while finning (so I would be off track towards the left).
I know what you mean about poor vis. One time we actually found it by bumping into it and then lost it again when we followed a little debris field about 10-15' out. Look as we might we could not find our way back to the wreck.

Let me know when you are going if you don't mind the company. I want to try to video it too.

Back
Top Bottom