Vortex Springs - what to do, where to eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY_BOB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy and I are diving Vortex and Morrison the first of next week.

We are planning on staying at Vortex, unless someone has any other motel advise. Our plans are to drive down Sunday, dive Vortex Monday, and Morrison Tuesday. After that, we are playing it by ear.

Does anyone have any suggestion for must eat places that are close by. We're getting a cheap room with no cooking facilities, so we'll have to eat all out for all of our meals.

Suggestions for other lodging or other dive sites are welcome. There are only 2 of us and we can't get a charter boat out of either Pensacola or Panama City during the week, I've already checked. His work schedule will only allow us Mon-Wed, so diving the gulf is out.

I suggest trying 4 C Bar-b-Q in Ponce De Leon. They have some Awesome loaded fries and Food! Cypress is a great spring to dive. You will have to a Canoe or rent one it get to it. I'm sure some more more area divers will chime in.

The 4c's is the place for dinner and stuff. I would reccomend the Ponce DeLeon motro lodge for sleeping. Its quiet, clean and only like 45 bucks a night. There is a subway beside the motor lodge but I usually eat lunch and dinner at the barbeque place. Sallys has a good breakfast buffet too

Suggestions for other lodging or other dive sites are welcome. There are only 2 of us and we can't get a charter boat out of either Pensacola or Panama City during the week, I've already checked. His work schedule will only allow us Mon-Wed, so diving the gulf is out.

Pat Green told me he'd go out with as little as two people. Give him a call.

Tip the deckhand well tough, as you'll be the only ones paying him that day. :thumb:

Sounds like we'll definitely need to hit 4C's.

We'll consider the hotel as well. I just printed their phone # and address off of the internet. I'm sure that it's closer to food than Vortex. We'll want breakfast in the morning before diving. It sounds like it might be better to get up, eat, and then head to the springs.

Thanks for the info guys. It'll be my first trip there. I know the good places in Williston and High Springs but this is my first trip to the panhandle.

Any decent watering holes for after the diving?

Pat Green told me he'd go out with as little as two people. Give him a call.

Tip the deckhand well tough, as you'll be the only ones paying him that day. :thumb:

What dive op is that? The weather is supposed to be a little rough on the gulf early next week, thanks to tropical depression 19 but we may still look into it.

Sounds like we'll definitely need to hit 4C's.

We'll consider the hotel as well. I just printed their phone # and address off of the internet. I'm sure that it's closer to food than Vortex. We'll want breakfast in the morning before diving. It sounds like it might be better to get up, eat, and then head to the springs.

Thanks for the info guys. It'll be my first trip there. I know the good places in Williston and High Springs but this is my first trip to the panhandle.

Any decent watering holes for after the diving?

Ummm yeah, whatever drinks you have and the room your staying in LOL..

Ummm yeah, whatever drinks you have and the room your staying in LOL..

Sounds like the little backward a$$ town that I live in. :shakehead:

Nearest bar I know if is on Highway 90, in Westville, which is ironically East of Ponce De Leon. It used to be called the River Cave Bar, but it has another name now. Still a bar, if you're looking for one...

Aside from taking a picture of the old sign, I've never been there. I would say... enter at your own risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom