Vomiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dezzie22

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been diving for a year now and at first during my OW course i was experiencing difficulty in equalising with my left ear not clearing as fast as the other. Holding my nose and breathing out sometimes harder then probably need to seemed to fix the issue. I was finding myself descending OK but on return to the surface finding myself vomiting. After a minute or two i was fine. One particular time i was very light headed and didn't feel good at all just wanting to sit and lie down for while. I was advised to go see a ENT doctor for a check up and he gave me a clear to go result suggesting a slightly different technique to equalise and if need take some nasonex to help clear the passages. Before I took the nasonex he wanted me to try the different technique which was to hold my nose and not blow so hard which i did. Also to do this above the water before descending. It seemed to work out ok till i started to ascend which was not pretty. Vomiting when reaching the surface was ok but having to face doing it into your regulator and thinking your going to drown was not a lot of fun. surprisingly enough holding the reg in your mouth so as not to spit it out was easier then expected. You feel like your going to rebreath all the vomit but you don't, you just get your normal breath when you breath in. Sort of weird actually but then the first breath you take underwater feels sort of weird to. So I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment as to what to do. My normal GP says he doesn't like the sound of me vomiting underwater and to give up diving. My ENT guy says theres nothing wrong, a second opinion from another SCUBA doctor one i've only visited once says give up diving based on me taking Lisinopril for high blood pressure being an ACE inhibitor. I'm not sure after reading all these blogs that I need to give up diving?? The only problem I see myself having durinf a dive is ascending, I don't feel dizzy or have the effect of vertigo, I just feel nauseus and vomit. Once done so I'm good again. Is there someone out there thats suffered the same and know what I can do? I'd like to keep diving if I can.

Not a doctor but here's my take.
There was an article I read about a famous diver called David Shaw. Long story short his support diver had a gas bubble form in his inner ear during ascent and it caused extreme vertigo and nausea causing him to vomit.

David Shaw Article
(see page 7, paragraph 4)

I believe in your case you're experiencing a reverse block which is causing pressure in your middle ear and possibly bulging and affecting your inner ear. :idk:
(might want to ask you ENT if this is possible)
The results being you blowing chunks.

My 2 cents is you need to find a better way to equalize that is NOT the valsalva manuver. It's too easy to over do it and to easy to tighten your throat when doing it, which hampers your ability to equalize.
Try yawning or doing the frenzel manuever.
Get your throat to relax and be wide and open, then breath.
You also need to open your throat wide and relax to allow your middle ears to re-equalize on ascent so you don't get any blocks.

I puked through my reg once years ago in Akumal. It was a tequila and beer induced incident.

Sounds like classic alternobaric vertigo. Try equalizing frequently during ascent, using passive methods such as yawning, jaw-thrust, etc.

Back
Top Bottom