VMS RedBare Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
very rare this side of the pond, but CO2 sensors are of questionable validity anyway. They aren't the only ones with CO2 sensors in them, but since the sensors don't work particularly well in high humidity, and a CCR loop is always at 100% relative humidity, they basically are pointless

So it's based on Sentinel

is it a new iteration of the sentinel ?

Did a mini try dive at a dive show in February on it for about 10 mins. My first experience with a rebreather. Seemed quite..solid. Was deciding between that, a JJ or an XCCR. In the end went down the XCCR route.

I've now done a couple of 35 minute try dives on the VMS Redbare.

Seemed like a very well engineered piece of kit to me and I know a few RB divers who have switched from their other units.

However my personal knowledge and experience of CCR is extremely limited.

This was a basic write-up of my first try:

CCR Try Dive - old dogs and new tricks

I've now done a couple of 35 minute try dives on the VMS Redbare.

Seemed like a very well engineered piece of kit to me and I know a few RB divers who have switched from their other units.

However my personal knowledge and experience of CCR is extremely limited.

This was a basic write-up of my first try:

CCR Try Dive - old dogs and new tricks

You made me laugh on that thread. The joys of buoyancy and CCR diving. Haha

Hello, I am new to this site, but I own vms red bare and wanted to share what I have learned and experienced. I think the sensor uses infrared to detect co². For me it has worked well, it uses somekind hydrophobic screen and normal sponge to keep water and moisture away. It one time detected and failed my predive check because there was one granule of sofnolime between the seal.

I own one but unfortunately have not been able to dive it too much in the last year. I have at the moment a grand total of about 35 hrs on it so very much a rookie with a lot still to learn. However, I can say that it definitely is a solid piece of kit. Very well engineered and comfortable to dive with. The support and backup from VMS is in a word fantastic and whenever I have question or issue they are always happy to help or take a phone call and talk me through whatever (usually) I’m doing wrong.

I have had a few issues with the unit namely; an O2 sensor failing and not allowing me to complete the pre-dive checklist due to low voltage. Replacement O2 sensor sorted that. Another O2 sensor failing on a dive. Basically a non-event because the unit alerted me, I took that O2 sensor out of the loop and called the dive. Completed the dive on the two remaining O2 sensors with zero issues. I suppose I could have just continued the dive with two O2 sensors (and the younger me would have) but I didn’t get to be old by being stupid. My unit also started diving by itself in the study on one or two occasions but that one was my fault because I didn’t charge the head for a few weeks and the batteries were running low. I find the CO2 sensor reassuringly accurate and have never had an issue with it.

I also find the unit easy to work with and to self-service - just the basics like o-rings where needed, lube etc. For the major stuff it goes to VMS. It’s due for its first service this summer.

I guess what attracted me to the RedBare was that it was a total package. Two computers included with it and I didn’t have to buy any extra bits. The price I saw was the price I paid. Nothing hidden. It is based on the old Sentinel and I suppose that will put some people off but from what I have seen there is light years of difference between the two units. VMS have really put together a great piece of kit and I hope to one day take it cave diving when I have enough hours on it. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom