Viz on Chaudiere compared with Saskatchewan Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How is the viz on the Chaudiere reef/wreck in Sechelt inlet compared with the Saskatchewan/Breton Georgia Strait wrecks? Is there a best annual time to choose the best viz? How does winter viz balance out with the chance of bad weather (I'd be traveling a fair ways at some expense...) so would like good viz. What's the average current speed going to be on that wreck seeing as it's near the narrows?

I am in the area on my own sailboat each summer though...

If I missed a thread somewhere, please give me a link?

Thanks! Jim T.

Hi Jim;

I've dove the Chaudierre twice, both times it was pretty "fuzzy". It unfortunately was put down in a less-than-optimum place that is pretty silty.

The wrecks in Nanaimo are in a much better place and have much more growth on them too.

Spring/Fall are always going to be better diving.

Jack

jim T.:
How is the viz on the Chaudiere reef/wreck in Sechelt inlet compared with the Saskatchewan/Breton Georgia Strait wrecks? Is there a best annual time to choose the best viz? How does winter viz balance out with the chance of bad weather (I'd be traveling a fair ways at some expense...) so would like good viz. What's the average current speed going to be on that wreck seeing as it's near the narrows?

Viz is always a hit and miss thing. Generally I've had better viz on the Chaud as opposed to the Saskatchewan but it can be really good or really crappy on either. I find the best chance for good viz in the late fall and winter.

Can't say I can ever ran into any current on the Chaud.

Wow, glad you had such a great dive! Sounds like the viz (like most places) is kind of a crapshoot. It's always chancey when traveling, paying for ferries, charters, etc. so I appreciate hearing from divers who've experienced both extemes of viz. Maybe I can develop a "system" like in Las Vegas for picking the right day:wink:

The Chaud is pretty protected. I don't think it'd be all that bad in the winter. No current, that's sort of the problem with it. Glad to hear others have had some good dives, I never really did. The walls in Pender harbor were great though.

Jack

Jack, which walls did you dive in Pender Harbour? I anchor there every summer at least a couple of times. Usually in Gerrans Bay if not Garden Bay. Did you use a local charter or your own boat?

I don't know if you've seen it, but a local diver put out a self published (only 100 copies) of a Pender Harbor, Francis Penninsula dive guide. The only place I saw it was in the little gift shop at Madeira Park, just around the corner from the IGA/liquor store strip mall. Kind of wish I'd bought one now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom