Viz conditions at PennyRoyal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could somebody give me the conditions at PR? Thanks.

Last Mon. it was 50 ft or better overall. I could see the top of the deep van at about 70 ft from 20 ft of depth. In the shallow section, I could easily see from attraction to attraction. I stayed shallow but temps ranged from 72 at the surface to 67 at 25 ft.

Thanks!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the temp. ranges; I'd wondered what it ran a bit deeper. I've got a 5 mm 'Farmer John' wet suit, & recently got an H2O Hood and Henderson 5 mm gloves; I'm curious as to how cold I would be comfortable (given that I'm usually fairly cold resistant; I can dive in 75 degree water with swim trunks & t-shirt comfortably as long as I keep moving around).

Richard.

Update! Just saw a FB post from Kris Tapp (Owner). They say the Vis in the shallows has dropped to 5- 10 ft since the heavy rains. They say it is clearing, but very slowly.

We got in 4 dives at Pennyroyal on July 4. Visibility averaged about 30 feet in the 20 to 30 foot depths, but you could make out the submerged items vertically in the water column from about 50 feet above. I wouldn't call it 50' vis, though. Getting down closer to 50 foot depths, I think the vis was a good 40 to 50 feet.

The shallow area was nice and warm at 78 degrees. Below 22 feet, it dropped to 68 degrees. At 50 feet it was just darned cold. I didn't hang out long enough to let my computer pick up the temp down there since I was diving a 3mil suit without hood or gloves.

Back
Top Bottom