Viton O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insert Catchy name

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you use (insert lube of choice here) on your Viton oring for your K-VALVE to tank seal?

Have read yes, use it on o-ring and threads. Have read no, do not put anything on the oring or threads.

Dielectric conversion problems with the steele against aluminum?

Thanks, Joe.

I use Dow Corning 111 silicone grease on mine.

I use a light coat of Christolue on the o-ring and the threads. I thought the only o-ring you want to leave dry is the one between the valve and the first stage because it is exposed and might tend to pick up dirt if lubed.

Christolube and I don't use Viton. Apparently it turns into something very nasty if it happens to burn.

A very light coating of a O2 compatible lubricant will not hurt. Just enough to give the O-ring a wet sheen.

As for Viton, I don't use any except for the tank to valve one and any O-rings in a manifold. I do this as Viton is more O2 resistant then most standard Buna rings. But, only the rings that see higher O2 percentages for long periods of time need that resistance, The amount of time that any O-ring in a regulator will see higher O2 percentage can be measured in minutes or a few hundred hours per year max, while tank can see high O2 year round.

Viton does produce phosgene gas (COCL2) when it burns as part of the process of burning chlorine. But Viton does hold up better than buna/nitrile rubber o-rings in a high O2 environment.

I do not like to use Viton o-rings in a reg, especially in dynamic applications, as they are not very wear resistant and even a deco reg used with 100% O2 sees very few hours per year of exposure to 100% O2 so the extra O2 resistance does not really matter.

For a neck o-ring however I prefer viton as in a tank of high % nitrox or O2, it will see O2 exposur 24/7 for the entire year.

I do lubricate it as it is essential that it easily slide into full contact with the matign surfaces on tank and valve. If not well lubricated, the viton can stick, bind and tear, creating potential for a leak later on.

Most valves are chrome plated brass. Dissimilar metals corrosion is not usually an issue with steel tanks, but can be an issue with aluminum so many people give the valve threads a light coat of lubricant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom