Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have Visual inspection stickers for sale (VIP, yearly inspection) decals for sale - only to be sold to certified visual inspectors.

Price is variable depending on quantity (25c to $2 per sticker)
Pay with paypal.
3inches long by 1.75inch tall (slightly smaller than average business card)
Water proof latex material to stand up against SW/FW exposure.

LDS's message me directly.

Free shipping!

Attachments

• Vip final scan.jpeg
    Vip final scan.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 142
You will not like this, but as far as I am concerned those stickers are useless. There is no way to validate that the VIP is good for one year. Anything could happen to that tank in a year, the valve is removed, bad fill, flash fire from partial filling, etc. etc. etc. The only thing valid would be the date of the inspection. This is the same type of generic sticker that unqualified people will use to try and get by without having proper VIP's done. I only hope that the person filling said tanks does not get hurt.

a "proper VIP" suffers the same issues once the tank leaves the shop where the inspection was done. For the most part having VIP's required is just a revenue source for dive shops.

Al

I too am going to thread crap and agree that the stickers are useless. There are so many red flags as to what is on them it is beyond pathetic.

Im just the guy with a bunch of these stickers
I dont have a comment regarding the profiteering of the dive shops doing yearly inspections :wink:

No local shops or dive sites I deal with would accept these stickers to give me a fill. No shop name or inspector name on them.

I wasn't aware that a scuba shop needed to be advertised on inspection stickers.
Do they contact the shop and ask to speak to the inspector prior to filling the tank?
:eyebrow:

You will not like this, but as far as I am concerned those stickers are useless. There is no way to validate that the VIP is good for one year. Anything could happen to that tank in a year, the valve is removed, bad fill, flash fire from partial filling, etc. etc. etc. The only thing valid would be the date of the inspection.

All true. Still, inspecting once a year is better than the never that the vip practice likely replaced isn't it?

My LDS and instructor preaches self sufficiency. This is an area where he recommended I have the occasional look in addition to a formal vip. I used to look in my tanks very regularly. Now my LDS is banking nitrox so I don't need to dump gas prior to a fill so it's less desirable for me to dump a tank.

This is the same type of generic sticker that unqualified people will use to try and get by without having proper VIP's done. I only hope that the person filling said tanks does not get hurt.
Sure, but the stickers are all over the net for sale. Personally, if I was going to put my own sticker on I'd have it printed. I got name stickers printed for my tanks for under a buck. You could get a vip sticker printed with some random "dive shop" name, and not have any problems with the ops who claim they won't fill a tank with a generic VIP sticker.

On that note, we did find a small amount of rust in my buddy's steel tank once. I'm guessing we'd dumped too quickly and a drop of water got in.... LDS cleaned the tank and it was nice and purdy once again. Personally, I've got no problem paying a shop I trust the meager VIP fee.

My LDS and instructor preaches self sufficiency. This is an area where he recommended I have the occasional look in addition to a formal vip. I used to look in my tanks very regularly.

I would be concerned about increasing the odds of letting humidity and contaminants into the tank if you are popping the valve off too often. Ever notice how fast your car's disk brakes oxidize in the FL humidity? After a VIP, or valve removal, I like to pump a tank up with dry air and then empty or use that air pretty soon. Maybe this is all in my head, but I know there is a ton of humidity in out FL air that needs to be removed.

..Now my LDS is banking nitrox so I don't need to dump gas prior to a fill so it's less desirable for me to dump a tank.

What shop is that? When I was down at BHB this past Feb, I had trouble finding anyone who banked Nitrox. I found it odd seeing several divers purging out their tanks outside of the dive shop I was near.

Back
Top Bottom