Visiting Nag's Head next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nashirak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks....

I'll be visiting Nag's Head for a few days next weekend (29-Jun2) and wanted to get some personal experiences with dive shops in the vicinity.

I've seen the stickies about what wrecks are up there, and a listing of a few shops, but I wanted to find out if anyone would like to post shops that THEY would recommend.

Who have you used?
Which wreck did you see?
All-day trip? How much of the day?
Etc, Etc.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm a PADI OWSI with deep, wreck, and Nitrox, and I've done some 2+knot current dives in 4-6 foot seas, but I'm not Technical, so nothing more than 100-130ft is what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for any advice!:D

In Nags Head I would say Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina I have done the U-85 & the Dionysus in the less than 100fsw range, I have a buddy who has done the Advance,Benson & Jackson, liked them all & still under 100fsw. I have also done the Bedloe with them, but at 150fsw that is outside your range. Bill runs a good operation & you will be taken well care of.

But if you don't mind a trip about 1 hour south to Cape Hatteras try Capt. JT Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site I know he has some openings for next weekend. I dove with him this past Sat. & Sun (along with many other times) & you will have a good time. Also water temps will be probably closer to 70 degrees ( was 71 at the 100fsw wreck British Splendor & 67 at the 80fsw wreck F.W. Abrams) than mid 50s off Nags Head. Plus while you may get good vis in Nags Head it typically is better in Hatteras.

I second diving with Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center! Bill is a great guy and you'll enjoy the sites out there.

I'd go on down to Hatteras for the blue water diving. Outer Banks Diving at Hatteras goes out to wrecks in the Gulf Stream waters. I hope to go May 31 and the end of that week. I've dived about 20 dives with them and never had a bad one. Their website is: outerbanksdiving.com

I will be staying in Nags Head the following week. If you have the capability and time, I would be interested in finding out where you end up diving? I have never been and have been speaking (via email) with John Bright from Outer Banks who has been extremely helpful in answering some of my questions.

I'm more curious now after reading other replies about the diving in Hatteras!?!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hatteras and Nags Head are 2 different worlds as far as diving. They both have their own characteristcs. If you have the opportunity, I'd try to hit up a trip out from both places.

The Nags Head area you can expect it to be chilly sometimes and not quite as good viz all the time. There are even a couple of really neat shore dives in Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills worth checking out for the historical value. The wrecks are phenomenal though, and diving with Bill with Outer Banks Dive Center is very much worth the trip in itself. Down south, I'm not quite as familiar with the ops, but the dives are great there too.

Back
Top Bottom