Visiting in mid-Jan, 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceDiverInCA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Folks,

I'll be in Oahu in mid-Jan. and am looking for some input. I've never dove out there and am looking for any advice, suggestions, etc. I'm still in the planning phase and open to anything including island hopping.

From what I've gathered, I guess 5mm full suit is about what I need around mid-Jan?

Hey buddy,

With the water temps at what they are, I usually use a 3mm with a 2mm vest. I wish I had a 5mm full suit. I've seen guys dive here with nothing but shorts and a rash guard. I used to dive that way in Guam but the water is a few degrees lower here. After 40-45 minutes, I start to get cold.

So, IMHO, I think a 5mm would be perfect.

Chris

Thanks.

I'm hoping to do shore diving in Oahu on Sat. Jan. 20 and I'd like to join if any of you are going on that day. I know it's more than a month away but I thought I'd post anyway. Please let me know if you are.

Check out shorediving.com, it has a great section about shore diving in Hawaii. Winter shore diving options are somewhat limited (north shore is out, west depends on the swell direction on the day you want to dive).
I disagree with the 5mm reccomendation, personally I get hot wearing a 3mm full suit in the winter. Most of the shops hand out 3mm shorties or fulls for rental.
BTW: DON'T DIVE MAGIC ISLAND (shore dive). It's just my opinion, but it totally sucks. Vis is normally very low (5-20 feet occasionally 50-60), little to no living coral, and LOTS of trash (the dive site starts from a boat harbor).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom