Visit to Houston in August - FGB & what else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - I am looking for some recommendations, please. Will have to be in Houston for work from 13Aug through the 24th. Tentative plan would be to fly in on the 8th and do the Flower Garden Banks on the Fling for the 9th & 10th. Would like to do another boat trip that same weekend, if possible? Copelands?

I will then have the 19th only get another day in. What would be the best spot near to Houston, if I believe that it would be a spring/freshwater dive and not back down to the coast(?).

Thanks in advance!

The only local place that can be relatively clear will be blue lagoon (lagoon 1). Shallow but decent sized can do some navigation and or just hang out and get wet. This is an hour plus, north of town in Huntsville.

Windy point park (shore entry) or Lake Travis Scuba (for a pontoon boat charter) can be dove out of Austin. This will be 2:15 or so west of town.

There are other places but most are considered training lakes/quarries. Well, blue lagoon is as well but at least it is clear-ish.

Take a tour of the NASA Sonny Carter Training Facility -Neutral Buoyancy Lab, and the Johnson Space Center (or as a worst case fallback option if your FGB charter is canceled due to weather):

Fling Charters

The Fling Charter will be going to:
1. The Kraken & Stetson on 8/9-10
2. The Flower Garden & Stetson on 8/11-12

You can book both trips.

I see on their calendar the dive shops listed for the 11th, but I didn't see mention of a destination. That would be ideal.

I see on their calendar the dive shops listed for the 11th, but I didn't see mention of a destination. That would be ideal.

Because that’s the original itinerary. Kraken is a new wreck site that they just added.

The 4-5 dives in Flower Garden Banks (110 miles off the coast of Texas) on Saturday include 1 dive in oil / gas rig. On Sunday they’ll move to Stetson Banks (~ 70 miles off the coast of Texas) and do 2 morning dives & head back to Freeport.

Two weeks ago I was there, left the dock by 8pm on Friday & got back to the dock by 5:45pm on Sunday. You can check out some of the pictures I took here: Hello from Indonesia

Last edited:
Because that’s the original itinerary. Kraken is a new wreck site that they just added.

The 4-5 dives in Flower Garden Banks (110 miles off the coast of Texas) on Saturday include 1 dive in oil / gas rig. On Sunday they’ll move to Stetson Banks (~ 70 miles off the coast of Texas) and do 2 morning dives & head back to Freeport.

Two weeks ago I was there, left the dock by 8pm on Friday & got back to the dock by 5:45pm on Sunday. You can check out some of the pictures I took here: Hello from Indonesia

Aaahh...okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Take a tour of the NASA Sonny Carter Training Facility -Neutral Buoyancy Lab, and the Johnson Space Center (or as a worst case fallback option if your FGB charter is canceled due to weather):

Weather is a frequent schedule contributor, huh? Not something that I am used to when planning my diving in California.

Been to Johnson previously. Sonny Carter sounds interesting. Not sure that I knew it was open to the public. Thanks for the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom