Vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkyongae@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What happened to the old vis thread. I always enjoyed referring to it before going out. Anyway, had 10 ft at Steilacoom Sat late afternoon at flood nice cold layer of fresh water on top making some nice bubbles to swim through. I free dive only and had a great time practicing breath control and prolonged dive. At least for me anyway. Not much in the way of seeing much. However it was fun to see every one crowding to every square inch of beach what little there was at high tide. Kind of made me glad I had lots of room out in the water. Going to Neah Bay this next weekend Snow Creek staying in cabin 5 for the nice 3 day'er hope the snow run off settles down and we have nice vis.

Strange week-end ... yesterday's dive on the Dawn was probably the best vis I've ever seen in Lake Washington ... easily 20-25 feet. The afternoon dive in Cove 2 had pretty darn good vis as well ... at least 25 feet.

Today's vis at Redondo was ricidulous. Of course, the nine dive classes going on were stirring it up a bit ... but even without that there was a thick layer of plankton blooming in the top layer of water. Down to 15 feet or so, vis was best measured in inches ... I could see my student's arm as he descended (because it was a few inches from my mask), but I couldn't make out the body it was connected to.

I think the hot weather's woke up the plankton ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Driving along the water in Tacoma you could see the brown layer coming from the Puyallup river. The vis on Thursday was about 0' for the first 3-5 feet, then about 10' at the bottom. The reports from Les Davis for the rest of the weekend was about the same.

Redondo was about the same yesterday.

Welcome to spring diving in the Pacific Northwest.

I was out at Hat Island yesterday diving the reef and the Snohomish River was dumping all manner of madness into the bay. The visibility was 0mm from the surface to 10fsw. 1' from 10-20 fsw and much better (10-20') below that. It was dark but at least you could see. There was so much snot in the water that if you weren't focusing on your computer during the safety stop, you'd go cross-eyed!

After last Sunday's dive at Sund Rock I'm not sure how long it's going to take for all that silt to settle down. It's been like that pretty much since the December floods.

Probably won't bother going back until next winter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, was thinking maybe this fall...which sux, because I love the diving in the Canal. Well, heres hoping Redondo vis will be decent this weekend, got a friend and a son coming up to dive with me.

Back
Top Bottom