vis in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics, but you guys that keep posting pics from bonaire are making the next 8 months 1 week and 1 day go by real slow. Man i can't wait to go back. I heard from Liz at Golden Reef Inn that they did have some low viz problems through august but it was clearing up. It was an uncommon event there from what she had said.

We were in Bonaire 9th to 25th Sept specifically for the coral spawning. The viz varied from 40 to 80 feet, so not really wide angle photo conditions. The worst viz at 40 feet was weird as the previous dives that day had good viz, maybe an upwelling, next day was ok again.

I think October may be a good spawning, we saw a lot at the house reef at Habitat and others did next door at Buddys. Friends also in the water at the same time on the Wednesday night at Batchelors Beach and Andrea II saw nothing. We had whole heads of boulder star coral releasing in seconds - it was like a snow storm. We also saw Brittlestars releasing eggs and smoking, Touch me know sponges smoking and gorgonians smoking and one donkey dung sea cucmber in the cobra position. This was our 7th coral spawning trip to Bonaire and one of the most spectacular. The link below gives times and dates for October http://www.habitatdiveresorts.com/bonaire/coral_spawn-2006.html

Bosun:
We were in Bonaire 9th to 25th Sept specifically for the coral spawning. The viz varied from 40 to 80 feet, so not really wide angle photo conditions. The worst viz at 40 feet was weird as the previous dives that day had good viz, maybe an upwelling, next day was ok again.

I think October may be a good spawning, we saw a lot at the house reef at Habitat and others did next door at Buddys. Friends also in the water at the same time on the Wednesday night at Batchelors Beach and Andrea II saw nothing. We had whole heads of boulder star coral releasing in seconds - it was like a snow storm. We also saw Brittlestars releasing eggs and smoking, Touch me know sponges smoking and gorgonians smoking and one donkey dung sea cucmber in the cobra position. This was our 7th coral spawning trip to Bonaire and one of the most spectacular. The link below gives times and dates for October http://www.habitatdiveresorts.com/bonaire/coral_spawn-2006.html

Thanks for the link. Going to print it out and take it with me. Hopefully I will be seeing some of the coral do its thing. Never have seen it.

Bosun:

Brian- thanks for the link. I'll be there on the 7th and didn't realize there would be an October spawn.

Ken

Hey Ken.
Don't forget to hook up next week
Dave

Back
Top Bottom