Virgin no more!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, finally got back from paradise several hours ago and back to the real world. Everyone here in SB was completely right. I loved it and diving there has spoiled me. I thought I'd post a trip report.

Stayed at Villablanca. It was nice but didn't like that sunken tub. If you're tall, you run the risk of accidentally cutting your hand on the fan (someone did during my stay). Staff was great. Nancy was very helpful. Will upgrade to superior room next time I stay there though.

Used Dive Paradise for the op. I was in the big boats but suited me fine for my experience level. All the dive buddies I was assigned to were great, understood that I was fairly new to diving and very new to coz diving. I was never really paired up with the type of diver I feared most-the one who can last for hours on a single tank of air (they were probably on those fast boats zipping past us). Rented a DM on my first trip which was a good thing coz I sucked air in great quantity during my first dive. DMs were good and funny during the SI.

The dive sites were grrrrreeeeaaattt! Came to coz with three main things to see: turtles, toad fish, and spotted eagle ray. Saw them all and then some. Drift diving was awesome, unless you're taking pictures. Not having to swim back to the boat was even better.

As for the food, well, I'm not really a big fan of Mexican food so food wasn't a big deal for me while I was there. However, was very happy to find my favorite food, sushi, was available. Managed to gobble those up in great quantities along with some of the biggest egg roll I've seen.

After all that, I can't wait to go back. As a matter of fact, I now have this need to go back. Hmmm, could be a start of a very nasty addiction.

Hey this post is about diving. Thats just misleading advertising! Glad you had fun in the mecca for divers. Have you started planning your next trip?

midwestdvr:
As for the food, well, I'm not really a big fan of Mexican food so food wasn't a big deal for me while I was there.
You know that stuff you find in Missouri, Los ______ and El _____ where number 9 is the same no matter which restrant is the same is not really Mexican food right?

I hope you at least gave the food in Coz a chance. There is some really wonderfull stuff there that has nothing to do with tacos and burritos :wink:

Anway glad to hear you had a good time.

James

midwestdvr:
Stayed at Villablanca. It was nice but didn't like that sunken tub. If you're tall, you run the risk of accidentally cutting your hand on the fan (someone did during my stay). Staff was great. Nancy was very helpful. Will upgrade to superior room next time I stay there though.

Sounds like you had a great trip! I agree with you about those sunken tubs at Villablanca--I stayed there in Feb and can't tell you how many bruises I had from hitting my shins on the side of that thing! And definitely get the superior room next time--well worth it. Now it's time to start the countdown to your next trip! :)

Well, I did actually try the Mexican food. Mostly had the fajitas and they were very good. One of the DM suggested Las Palmas for the fajitas but I ran out of time touring the island on my last day. Will go there next time. I'm starting to make plans on going back but would prefer going with others. Went solo on this trip and though I did have a great time, I think I would have had an even greater time if I was there with somebody else also.

Does it get really hot in Coz during the summer? How is it like during the fall, say late Sep early Oct?

midwestdvr:
Well, I did actually try the Mexican food. Mostly had the fajitas and they were very good. One of the DM suggested Las Palmas for the fajitas but I ran out of time touring the island on my last day. Will go there next time. I'm starting to make plans on going back but would prefer going with others. Went solo on this trip and though I did have a great time, I think I would have had an even greater time if I was there with somebody else also.
Come back down next week and I'll show you where to eat :wink:.

Does it get really hot in Coz during the summer? How is it like during the fall, say late Sep early Oct?
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/climatology/monthly/MXQR0074

James

I've been there this past June, Dec and March. June was hot, great U/W vis. Dec was great 1st week. low prices on hotel and airfare. great U/W vis.
Try the Plaza Las Glorias. Great location and shore diving. I'll be going back in Dec with my dive buddies.
Coz is where it's at

midwestdvr:
Well, finally got back from paradise several hours ago and back to the real world. Everyone here in SB was completely right. I loved it and diving there has spoiled me. I thought I'd post a trip report.

Used Dive Paradise for the op. I was in the big boats but suited me fine for my experience level. All the dive buddies I was assigned to were great, understood that I was fairly new to diving and very new to coz diving. I was never really paired up with the type of diver I feared most-the one who can last for hours on a single tank of air (they were probably on those fast boats zipping past us). Rented a DM on my first trip which was a good thing coz I sucked air in great quantity during my first dive. DMs were good and funny during the SI.

The dive sites were grrrrreeeeaaattt! Came to coz with three main things to see: turtles, toad fish, and spotted eagle ray. Saw them all and then some. Drift diving was awesome, unless you're taking pictures. Not having to swim back to the boat was even better.

As for the food, well, I'm not really a big fan of Mexican food so food wasn't a big deal for me while I was there. However, was very happy to find my favorite food, sushi, was available. Managed to gobble those up in great quantities along with some of the biggest egg roll I've seen.

After all that, I can't wait to go back. As a matter of fact, I now have this need to go back. Hmmm, could be a start of a very nasty addiction.

Hi and welcome back.
You wouldn't happen to remember the name of the sushi place would you?
See this thread.
Thx! http://www.scubaboard.com/t49457.html

Natasha, I believe it was Midori. Found it by accident. It was near a dive gear store close to the square. And yes, they had these huge egg rolls. Couldn't believe my eyes when they served it.

Back
Top Bottom