Info Virgin Cruise Feb 2025 - Dive Buddies and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbwilliamn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all! We are on the Resiliant Lady 8 Feb 2025 from San Juan. Looking for any other divers who want to buddy up and recommendations on which places to definitely dive (always on our own, not cruise ship).

Tortola • Barbados• St Lucia• Antigua• St Marteen

I've collected a few trip reports on some of these, but definitely interested in any other input.

If you are on the boat and interested in linking up, shoot me a PM. We are very experienced divers... 1250 and 800+ dives.

Thanks!

I won't be on your cruise, but I do like Virgin Voyages and have sailed many times with them. I use cruise ships for dive travel, so I can offer my input as a cruise ship diver. From my logbook, I was at these ports of call, except St. Maarten, in December 2022.

Tortola. I haven't dived there.

Barbados. I used Westside Scuba. Great operation and they will pick you up at the pier. Peter Grannum is the owner and a good guy to deal with. The marine life sightings were fantastic. A few of the critters I noted are a dozen lobsters under a ledge, 4 seahorses, red-lipped batfish, flying gurnard, large cucumbers, 3 scorpion fish, beautiful staghorn coral, and more. The dive sites were named Middle Reef and Carlisle Bay.

St. Lucia. Dive Fair Helen. One of the worst dive shops I've ever used. The whole thing was a s*** show. They run a combo snorkeler, kayaker and diver tour, so all three activities are on the dive boat. Sorting out the rentals for all these activities and taking payments for 30 people took about 2 1/2 hours until we got wet. The sites were in the "marine park" (never gave me names), but it's the sorriest marine park I've ever seen. Lots of boulders and sad-looking bommies and not much to see. The guide was just a "follow me" guy, not interested in pointing things out.

Antigua. I didn't find the effort worth a dive trip here. The ships dock on the other side of the island for diving, and the taxi ride is about $60 each way. The few operators that are there do not offer transportation. As a solo traveler, the diving needs to be really good for me to pay $120 to get there and back, and I had researched that the diving is not that great in Antigua. I stayed onboard that day and enjoyed an empty ship.

St. Maarten. It was 2013 when I last dived here, so all of this is old info. I used Ocean Explorers. I stayed for a week on the island and they did a great job. A quick Google search shows they're still in business. The diving was very good back then and they offer a shark dive. They were/are one of two operators on the island to have the permit to do the shark feeding dive. I would recommend them based on my long-ago past experience.

Another time that St. Maarten was on the cruise itinerary, I did plane-spotting at Maho Beach. If you like planes, this is a fun experience. St. Maarten has a very short runway, so the planes come in very low, right overhead at the beach, for landing. These are real pictures, no enhancements.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 8
In case you missed them, here are my trip reports:

Although you didn't mention it, I wouldn't try and dive in San Juan before / after the cruise. The only diving in San Juan is at the Escambron Marine park which is a short shore dive (30-45' depth) without much to see. Not worth the effort.

In case you missed them, here are my trip reports:

Although you didn't mention it, I wouldn't try and dive in San Juan before / after the cruise. The only diving in San Juan is at the Escambron Marine park which is a short shore dive (30-45' depth) without much to see. Not worth the effort.
Great info! We are staying in San Juan after..no diving...way too much other stuff to do! Thanks for all the other good info here! Barbados was the one we didn't have much info on. Skipping Tortola and Antigua. Def in for Barbados and probably St Lucia (if we can get picked up close to the port). St Maarten is up in the air...sounds like it ca be very good or eh.

Back
Top Bottom