VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second part of that word is the key one. They (Bauer) won't stand by their equipment if you do it...

It’s called covering their asses. There are so many Bauer’s pumping nitrox with no issues it’s ridiculous.

yep that's what I was told too............even thought I said hundreds of compressors do it ...he replied I see all the ones that don't survive it

Albeit I am not quite sure on the wording, I do like my sticker and it has my Inspector number on it. Anybody who feels the need to know can take it from there to get more info. As that sticker only goes on my tanks, if they pass, any filling shop has a real easy way to find out who the inspector is. I tell them upfront. So far only three shops filled my tanks since I inspected them, so my sampling size is tiny.

And yes, all the punch options "(Decade") on there might be a bit silly, but in my case that pile of stickers will outlast me... and I just can't help it with being frugal...

And I did quite like @abnfrog 's class on the matter!
And in case anyone thinks my stickers are really silly, I didn't consult anyone. Just felt like doing them that way one day...
View attachment 550244

I'm actually about to order some more stickers and will probably be adding a QR code on them. Any phone scanner could then scan the code and go to a website to enter the serial number of the tank (to customize the QR per tank would mean custom stickers per tank). This would then display a web page with non-PII data about the last recorded vis from my online VCI app. So only those tanks I've Vis'd. Don't know if any dive store that would question the sticker would take this online info with any more trust, but I'll probably do it, just 'cause I can! Thoughts?

I'm actually about to order some more stickers and will probably be adding a QR code on them. Any phone scanner could then scan the code and go to a website to enter the serial number of the tank (to customize the QR per tank would mean custom stickers per tank). This would then display a web page with non-PII data about the last recorded vis from my online VCI app. So only those tanks I've Vis'd. Don't know if any dive store that would question the sticker would take this online info with any more trust, but I'll probably do it, just 'cause I can! Thoughts?
OK, thoughts:
Interesting!
I don't see any harm in it (unless maybe if someone wants to sue you...).
I am not sure I understand the benefit you expect from it? Why are those capabilities beneficial and to whom?
And I am one of those dinosaurs using a QR code (as consumer) only if I really, really, really want to... because I have no idea what I may have implicitly agreed to by visiting a web page in that way and what info I may just have implicitly been giving up in the process... In other words, I am ignorant on the matter and really have not had a reason yet to smarten up on it...
Probably should...

And the song remains the same: Their compressor, their rules. You are denying them pure profit, how much does it cost to peek into a pristine tank?

We cope.

Has anyone done the class with the shop they get fills at? For instance my shop is an sdi shop. They do fills, vip, and hydro. So assuming I took the course with them I wouldn’t foresee an issue getting fills at that shop. Any have this experience?

I know multiple people who took the class through shop A and still have to go through all the BS.

It’s really going to depend on your shop. If they expect you go through the sort of BS I detailed above, I wouldn’t bother doing the class.
Thanks.

So I’ve learned my lesson. Before you get your VIP cert, give the third degree to any shop you might get fills at. Grill them like you’re a cop interrogating a murder suspect. At this time, I doubt I will do the 3 year renewal.

So I’ve learned my lesson. Before you get your VIP cert, give the third degree to any shop you might get fills at. Grill them like you’re a cop interrogating a murder suspect. At this time, I doubt I will do the 3 year renewal.
Scratch my head. If you get most fills at shop B and they accept your VIP cert, get your fills at B, no issue. When you have to go to A, go with full tanks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom