VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that I can inspect my own cylinders, Do I want any of my personal information on the VIP sticker?

Seems to me that if some diver had an issue the lawyers would see a name and/or phone number on the tank(s) and guess who gets the first call...

On the other hand, if I inspected a cylinder and was dragged into court, could I state with certainty that it was me who inspected the cylinder?

I only inspect my own cylinders, but nevertheless, does anyone have a definitive answer to this problem?

I bought a unique punch for my stickers. Is that good enough?

If you inspect anyone else's cylinders you should keep a record of that inspection including serial numbers.

If you only do you own then I dont see why you need to keep records like that.

Hi Lowviz,

I would put your personal information on the sticker. Who is going to get hurt by your tanks? My assumption is that you will hydro your tanks as the law requires, and you will perform your visual inspection in a workmanlike manner; therefore, the odds of one of your tanks exploding while being filled is about nil. Maintained tanks (hydro and VIS), made from proven materials, no matter their age, don't blow up (statistically speaking).

If you found a possible failure point, that was not conclusive, would you get a second opinion or get the tank re-hydroed even if it is not due?

As soon as you perform a VIS for a friend or for money, you had better get an LLC registered and liability insurance. Protect your assets.

Did you enjoy the course? How much was it?

cheers,
markm

IF you’re doing your own tanks only then I would just use generic stickers. I had stickers with my name on them and several ow dive shops would not accept my vip because I did it. I even showed them my vip card. I got pretty pissy with a couple of them. They tried giving me all sorts of backhand logic why I can’t vip my own tanks and expect them to fill them. Meanwhile these are shops that have also told me it’s “illegal” to fill a nitrox tank unless it had one of those huge nitrox stickers. This is one of the many reasons I fill at home and do my own vips.

I say based on my experience, the less you advertise you were the vipper, the better

I keep a detailed spreadsheet for every tank I VIP. This way if a sticker comes off or there is any issue I can confirm or deny that I had anything to do with the tank. My sticker has a spot for my inspector number and I also date and initial it with sharpie before placing clear packing tape over the writing.

I am extremely anal about the inspection and know damn good and well that each tank has passed before I will place a sticker on it and I am just as anal about keeping the records.

If you inspect anyone else's cylinders you should keep a record of that inspection including serial numbers.
Yes, maybe even better if one treats all cylinders equally. I have a bunch of cylinders that no longer get out much, I may sell a few of them someday...
IF you’re doing your own tanks only then I would just use generic stickers. I had stickers with my name on them and several ow dive shops would not accept my vip because I did it.
This is sort of where I am right now.
PSI and SDI have issues with each other (PSI-PCI - Facts about the TDI/SDI/ERDI Letter) so I wouldn't even think of making up my own sticker. But my course instructor is also an expert witness and suggested that his new inspectors be able to positively identify their stickers without going so far as to put personal information on the sticker.
Did you enjoy the course? How much was it?
The coursse was most worthwhile, yes, I enjoyed it. I took the SDI cylinder inspection course from @abnfrog. I don't feel comfortable sharing the actual cost without prior approval, but let's just say it was most reasonable.

I am extremely anal about the inspection and know damn good and well that each tank has passed before I will place a sticker on it and I am just as anal about keeping the records.
:)

Yes, maybe even better if one treats all cylinders equally. I have a bunch of cylinders that no longer get out much, I may sell a few of them someday...
This is sort of where I am right now.
PSI and SDI have issues with each other (PSI-PCI - Facts about the TDI/SDI/ERDI Letter) so I wouldn't even think of making up my own sticker. But my course instructor is also an expert witness and suggested that his new inspectors be able to positively identify their stickers without going so far as to put personal information on the sticker.
The coursse was most worthwhile, yes, I enjoyed it. I took the SDI cylinder inspection course from @abnfrog. I don't feel comfortable sharing the actual cost without prior approval, but let's just say it was most reasonable.

:)

I was also in that class. 10 hours.

The reasonable course cost was reasonable due to the exchange rate.

I took the psi-pci class 4+ years ago and renewed last year. I created my own stickers purchased online with standard verbiage, date punches, and my cert# on the sticker. No need for any other personal info - everything needed from validating my credentials is at PSI from my cert #. As part of the class is keeping a log, I do that - right now it's only my personal tanks, but I would visual anyone else's tanks exactly the same way. I wrote an online app so all my logs are online and I could bring up the tank's history (what I have of it) at any time as needed. I have never been questioned about the validity of my VIP sticker (granted only been to Illinois and a few places in Florida - upper and west gulf sites) - but again it has my cert# and standard verbiage on it, so it has what it needs per the class.

actually I price it to be reasonable, I don't believe my courses are good only because I charge Canadian dollars I believe it is good value because I make it good value

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom