Vintagedoublehose Scubapro mark 10 kit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave148

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I rebuilt a Mark 10 with the kit from Vintage Double Hose, and I noticed:

1. There are some o-rings I didn't see in the regulator: One each of: -022, -015, -012

2. Also, the -013 is the correct size for the item 01-050-147 listed as "O-ring, HP seat, Purple" in the 12/97 schematic, but the seal that previously existed in the regulator in this position was not an o-ring at all, but more of a "washer". It was a red seal with a square cross-section, and felt like it might be urethane. I'm not sure whether there has been an upgrade since '97, or something else is going on here.

3. All of the O-rings in the kit were durometer 70 except for the piston shaft at 85-90, but of the o-rings I took out of the regulator, I think the yoke retainer o-ring might also have been a 85-90. It makes sense for this o-ring to also have a higher durometer because it sees 3kpsi. Is there any advantage of using the kit's durometer 70 o-ring instead of a 90 here? I suppose the same question could be asked of the HP port o-rings.

Also, I found a plastic washer underneath the spring. Can I assume this is the shim used to adjust pressure, or are the shims metal? Anyone know of a good source for these?

I rebuilt a Mark 10 with the kit from Vintage Double Hose, and I noticed:

1. There are some o-rings I didn't see in the regulator: One each of: -022, -015, -012

2. Also, the -013 is the correct size for the item 01-050-147 listed as "O-ring, HP seat, Purple" in the 12/97 schematic, but the seal that previously existed in the regulator in this position was not an o-ring at all, but more of a "washer". It was a red seal with a square cross-section, and felt like it might be urethane. I'm not sure whether there has been an upgrade since '97, or something else is going on here.

3. All of the O-rings in the kit were durometer 70 except for the piston shaft at 85-90, but of the o-rings I took out of the regulator, I think the yoke retainer o-ring might also have been a 85-90. It makes sense for this o-ring to also have a higher durometer because it sees 3kpsi. Is there any advantage of using the kit's durometer 70 o-ring instead of a 90 here? I suppose the same question could be asked of the HP port o-rings.

Also, I found a plastic washer underneath the spring. Can I assume this is the shim used to adjust pressure, or are the shims metal? Anyone know of a good source for these?

Those extra o-rings allow the kit to be used on a Mk5. I believe they fit the piston, yoke retainer and turret.

Originally, the Mk5/7/10 used an o-ring to seal the HP seat in the seat carrier. That o-ring needs to be seated in the groove properly (I use a socket to press it into place) to seal. I believe the proprietary washer is less sensitive to being properly seated. (I have one Mk5 that a shop could not get to stop leaking through the seat retainer. The only thing wrong with it was that o-ring was not properly seated during assembly.)

The only place a duro 90 o-ring is really essential is on the piston stem. A lower duro o-ring may extrude and cause extra friction or be damaged and leak. The o-ring sealing the yoke to the body is fairly well captured so either a duro 70 or duro 90 should work with no problem. In general, an excessively high duro o-ring may be harder to install and may not seal as well if there are surface defects. While a duro 90 should work OK on the yoke retainer, both my '97 and my '01 Mk10 schematic show a 01.050.138 o-ring in that application.

Yes, that washer is a shim used to adjust IP. Initially, I bought a sheet of nylon and cut my own. Ugly but works.

To be fair, I helped VDH put that kit together. I don't think you will have any problem.

Lots of discussion in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/322518-scubapro-o-ring-sizes.html

Sources for shims?

Initially, I bought some nylon sheet material from McMaster-Carr and made my own. Ugly but worked. Now I tend to set IP on the low side of spec and just don't need many.

Sources for shims?

Dave there was a post months ago about purchasing shims off ebay that were a bit oversize and then putting them on a bolt sandwiched between two metal washers of the correct size and then sanding them down using a drill.

Dave there was a post months ago about purchasing shims off ebay that were a bit oversize and then putting them on a bolt sandwiched between two metal washers of the correct size and then sanding them down using a drill.

I'm not seeing the correct size listed on EBAY right now. If you search ptfe washer and find the seller Product Components Corp. maybe you can ask them to list Part No. C13034. I see on their web site that they do custom orders so you could probably get the exact right size in the material of your choice but the price might be prohibitive.

In the past people have looked around for shim sources and the eBay washers filled down seem to be the best choice. We could try to do a group buy but something tells me it still wouldn't be cost effective. If you only need a few shims you could ask here on the board.

Back
Top Bottom