Vintage Oceanic Data Trans No Longer Receiving Transmitter Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My ancient Oceanic Data Trans computer just recently stopped receiving the signal from my transmitter. Any ideas what might be a possible fix? I use this computer as a backup. I tested the transmitter with a voltmeter, and saw a drop in battery voltage regularly, so I'm guessing that the transmitter is working. Tried new batteries which didn't help.

Check the battery contacts in the transmitter and receiver. May not help, but who knows. I once had a piece of electronics which stopped working. I disassembled it, checked component values out of the circuits, put it back together without changing anything, and it works fine. I have no idea what I did, but whatever it was, it was the right thing. Soooooooo try everything.
Is there a receiver battery? Maybe built in?

Cheers -

Hi @paperdesk

I assume your Data Trans uses the standard Pelagic Pressure Systems FCC ID MH8A transmitter. I would go into an LDS that sells Oceanic and ask if they would ne nice enough to allow you to test your computer and transmitter. You can test your transmitter with a working computer and your computer with a working transmitter.

If it's your computer, you are probably out of luck for a repair, but would still have a non-AI backup. If the transmitter is working, you could pair it with any computer using the PPS transmitter, Oceanic or other Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands?

If it's the transmitter, you can get a replacement from Oceanic/Huish for $120, assuming its worth it to you Support » Service I recently had very used transmitter go out and obtained a new one from Huish, I've been back in business since Thank you Oceanic/Huish

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the contacts. Also, I don't think my LDS carries Oceanic compatible gear, but I will look next time I'm in. Probably one of my friends has one they would be willing to help me with!

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the contacts. Also, I don't think my LDS carries Oceanic compatible gear, but I will look next time I'm in. Probably one of my friends has one they would be willing to help me with!
Let us know how it turns out

I'm not sure what was the matter because I tried it again and it just started working without me having done anything to it. I'll test it some more and see what happens!

I'm not sure what was the matter because I tried it again and it just started working without me having done anything to it. I'll test it some more and see what happens!

Send me your address so I can invoice you for my diagnostic fees. :rofl3:
Glad it's working.
Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom