vintage gear collector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tontosmom

New
Reaction score
I am starting a great collection of vintage gear. I really have a ton of questions though.
I need a quick reference quide to prices, because I do not know what to pay for all of the stuff I find.

Aloha and Welcome to SB,

There is no real guide for prices that I know of. But you might want to post what you're looking to buy and get some suggestions from other vintage divers here on the board.

Aloha,
Lisa

How can you know it will be a "great" collection if your just starting?

There is no guide to prices, on ebay there are several heavy hitters who go after stuff that strikes their fancy with a vengence. Prepare to pay to beat them. I have on occasion found a few things at old dive shops, garage sells etc and other items given to me. On occasion I also raid ebay, when I see something I like--well.

Rather than being a collector, why not be a vintage diver and dive the stuff, that is the most fun anyways.
N

Aloha TontosMom
I saw a couple of the items you won on e-bay, I like the JC Higgens mask. There really is no collectors price guide. Go for what you like, and see what folks are bidding for similar stuff. Its all about what you like
Aloha Turtleguy9

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Right now I just got a hold of a great stainless steel huge great stag horn type handle scuba pro knife, with serial number from 1980, with the holder and instructions.
I also got a very old Capilary depth gauge, princeton bottom timer(w/box and instructions), duck feet, an aqua matic, some sharky wet suits. etc
I did not pay very much at all for these items. I was lucky.
Ebay items are pretty expensive, but there is stuff there I really like, like the Yak Yak.
I could of bought several tanks, with great labels, but I really didnt feel the need to have them. I have a Northill tank (with label), and a Rene tank so far.
I am going to try and start a Michigan vintage dive group. I just got my first double hose regulators for my collection. A Northill Airlung (mint) and a blue label aqua lung.
I will get the aqua lung fixed up and go diving!

Hey
I plan on divng this summer, all vintage gear. I have one guy right now who wants to go with me. Rule is, everything has to be vintage. Even the dive bags!
I am only collecting things I love and that look cool to me. For example, the capilary gauge. I had no idea really, how the thing originally worked, or its value, so I bought it because I liked it.
I need some more Michgan people that are interested in vintage diving.

You need to get hooked up with the Inland Divers Association. They are up there somewhere.

Oh, I might add, there is a Vintage Dive Ralley in August at Portage Quarry in Ohio and another at Lake Wazee Park in Wisconsin. There will be tons of vintage equipment, divers from the day, keynote speakers, displays and some diving (in a lake and a quarry--freshwater---ho hum).

JFYI, most vintage discussion occurs on the excellent forums provided by vintagescubasupply.com and vintagedoublehose.com rather than here.

I think you will find diving vintage gear (pre 1975) quite different from todays platic stuff, might want to brush up on how to dive a double hose, clear it, breathing positions, other stuff. good luck. N

Aloha Tontosmom
You have been busy collecting indeed. Sounds like you have got the basics of a collection now.
Aloha Turtleguy9

The Northill is always a good centerpiece to a collection. I am a collector (I have some old gear lying around the locker) and a "vintage" diver by luck. I suggest you try to pick up the Scott Hydropac face plate currently on EBay. There have been several offerings on EBay for Scott tanks and even a Northill tank; so patience should allow you to build representative vintage systems.

Back
Top Bottom