vintage equipment diving education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapezus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Vintage equipment diving enthusiasts is increasing every day in my country.We describe what we know about the vintage equipments and theirs use .
I just would like to help them amateur not for money.
Are there writen about it books,brochures,articles ? (english or french) Where we will buy them ?
I suggested that our scuba companies and it would be a new brunch for this bussines.So we will have new diving friends .Please help.

The older editions of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving would be a very good source for you to use. Some are available on EBay. Try for the ones before 1978.

The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving A Project of The Council fo 069581043X 069581043X | eBay

SeaRat

John C.Ratliff , thank you very much for your help.I have this book in my library. revised fourth edition 1974. I bought it many years ago..
Two-hose sharing , 184. page have some photos and informations. This book will be usefull. We only tell our practical experienced..

Trapezus, one of the things that the U.S. Navy Underwater Swimmers School instructors did was to ensure that during our earliest days with the double hose regulator (U.S. Divers Company Aquamaster) we dove without non-return valves in the mouthpiece. This ensured that we knew how to clear the hoses when water was introduced, and without the non-return valves. I recently got a La Spiro Professional Mouthpiece that European and Cousteau divers used, and it has no non-return valves too.

So one double hose skill I would insert is to be able to clear the breathing tubes from a completely flooded condition without non-return valves in the mouthpiece. To do this in a ditch-and-don, first ditch the scuba, and allow the breathing tubes to fill with water totally. This means shutting off the air, and not placing the mouthpiece under the valve (which traps air in the hoses). Then dive down, turn on the air, pump the hoses to initiate flow, and get a free flow going. Then put it in your mouth and clear the exhaust hose. From there, the unit can be donned if the diver is behind the unit (allowing it to go up over the head, with arms through the shoulder straps) and be positioned in dive position.

To clear the hoses in the dive position once the mouthpiece is removed, you need to do the roll maneuver that is shown in The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving.

This will give a good appreciation for those little mushroom valves in the mouthpiece. :wink: We sneaked non-returns into our mouthpieces prior to our deep open water dives in the U.S. Navy Underwater Swimmers School checkout dives in the last week of diving.

The other thing to add would be the importance of positioning for the double hose regulator.

Note the regulator being low, between the shoulder blades. I have a book which shows this difference pretty well, and will post information about that soon.

SeaRat

Mr.Ratliff , Thanks again..Yesterday I bought a a book about this topic DIVER BELOW , in a country over 41 years ago to explain the new generations is not easy to bring together and provide them to use the vintage equipments.Some one fear to buy a phoenix and bought new Aqua Lung Mistral.
Unfortunately old divers donn’t participation what I expected while they are still active divers and these equipment used.
Our new generations have graduates of top universities in providing education in English-French. I want to suggest them to find book,magazine and etch.
We use early model La Spiro Mistral for clear the hoses.It hasnn’t non-return valves.
I am using my equipments and I'm on a voluntary basis without any expectation of a material.
aim should be done in my country to vintage equipment diving , replicated or spread in all the world in every country who think that..
If this kind it is more commonly diving in the world will be more popular.. museums such equipment might pop up.. Those who earns more than the regulators, repair and modification.. exhibitions such departures across countries vintage dives. Would be more valuable in the hands of everyone phoneix..
I am compressed air deep sea diver ,I am diving with maintaining trust myself doublehose into the sunken ships , just as in the old days, no BC no finimeter only have watch, deep gauge and US Navy table. I miss the old days maybe that's why I give so much effort..
Useful and valuable help of people like you the new generations learn to use doublehose and the other vintage equipments.
Best Regards

Mr.Ratliff , Thanks again..Yesterday I bought a a book about this topic DIVER BELOW , in a country over 41 years ago to explain the new generations is not easy to bring together and provide them to use the vintage equipments.Some one fear to buy a phoenix and bought new Aqua Lung Mistral.
Unfortunately old divers donn’t participation what I expected while they are still active divers and these equipment used.
Our new generations have graduates of top universities in providing education in English-French. I want to suggest them to find book,magazine and etch.
We use early model La Spiro Mistral for clear the hoses.It hasnn’t non-return valves.
I am using my equipments and I'm on a voluntary basis without any expectation of a material.
aim should be done in my country to vintage equipment diving , replicated or spread in all the world in every country who think that..
If this kind it is more commonly diving in the world will be more popular.. museums such equipment might pop up.. Those who earns more than the regulators, repair and modification.. exhibitions such departures across countries vintage dives. Would be more valuable in the hands of everyone phoneix..
I am compressed air deep sea diver ,I am diving with maintaining trust myself doublehose into the sunken ships , just as in the old days, no BC no finimeter only have watch, deep gauge and US Navy table. I miss the old days maybe that's why I give so much effort..
Useful and valuable help of people like you the new generations learn to use doublehose and the other vintage equipments.
Best Regards

If I understand this correctly, someone purchased one of the new Aqualung Mistrals over the Phoenix. If that is correct, they need to understand that the new Mistral is one of poorest performing of any double hose regulator, one of several reasons it was not received well by the diving community. To my knowledge, no one who dives DH regs likes it. It is missing important design features that contribute greatly to the performance of a DH reg. In addition, the hoses and mouthpiece are from a rebreather. They too large and float too much to be well suited for double hose use. It will work and safely supply gas but it will not come close to matching a restored and well tuned DA Aquamaster or original Mistral in performance, much less one that has been modified with a Phoenix and other improvements. My point is, no one should judge all DH regs based on that regulator, it is a bad example.

If I understand this correctly, someone purchased one of the new Aqualung Mistrals over the Phoenix. If that is correct, they need to understand that the new Mistral is one of poorest performing of any double hose regulator, one of several reasons it was not received well by the diving community. To my knowledge, no one who dives DH regs likes it. It is missing important design features that contribute greatly to the performance of a DH reg. In addition, the hoses and mouthpiece are from a rebreather. They too large and float too much to be well suited for double hose use. It will work and safely supply gas but it will not come close to matching a restored and well tuned DA Aquamaster or original Mistral in performance, much less one that has been modified with a Phoenix and other improvements. My point is, no one should judge all DH regs based on that regulator, it is a bad example.

Herman, maybe you do not known I could not tell good english .. They are young and beginners.. No one judging the phoenix regulators.. I will not allow it anyway.. I have 23 DH different trade mark and model and all of them working I dive them .
They thought it was more reliable because it is just a new.. A few diver prefered new Mistral . We live in distant country of such non-market DH regulators..
input from 75 Euros take an expensive item from ebay especially prohibited from entering the old product ! Not easy to get a DH in ebay or any seller because custom problem. New Mistral is 780 Euro in İstanbul !

Honestly saying I did not know these things about the new mistral. Aware learned that because of you . I dive my Royal Mistral 200+ feet no problem..

Trapezus,

The performance curves, as done by the U.S. Navy Experimental Diving Unit, for the Royal Aquamaster and the U.S. Divers Company Mistral are below:

See the Rubicon Foundation Research Library for the Royal Aquamaster.

See the Rubicon Foundation Research Library for the U.S. Divers Mistral.

Note that the U.S. Divers Company Mistral performed better on inhalation resistance than the Royal Aquamaster, and that the exhalation is the same (same mechanism--it looks different on the two graphs, but that is because there is a difference in the dates of the tests, and probably different duckbill exhaust valves). The La Spiro Royal Mistral is, I think, the same as the U.S. Divers Company Mistral internally, and would therefore have similar performance (different hose/mouthpiece system). The metal Professional Mouthpiece without non-returns would make it an even better performing regulator.

Concerning the New Mistral, it's main problem for me is that with that small hose connecting the first and second stage, it would not fit on any of my double tank systems in an optimal position. I have never tried it, and so cannot make any comparisons. But that is why I did not buy it.

The book I was discussing above is Let's Go Diving, by Bill Barada (Copyright 1962, U.S. Divers Company--see the link). It has a lot of information in it about double hose regulators and diving, including a diagram which is titled "Two Hose Regulator Versus Single Hose." It is a diagram which notes the differences between the position of the diver's lungs and the position of the demand part of the regulator.

John

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who gave information mainly John C. Ratliff.. divers education are grateful for your contribution to young DH ,divers education are grateful for your contribution to young DH..
Our group had up to 30 people, and everyone has to buy DH..European countries divers preferring La spiro , Nemrod and Siebe Gorman .especially the sponge divers used La Spiro (Mistral)..
I hope someone in every country with or without coastal interest vintage equipment diving so that spread all over the World..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom