Vintage Double Hose Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RecklessAmateur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all--I posted a WTB in the classified area, but thought I'd add something here too. I'm looking hard for a VDH backplate, or a close facsimile, to use with my Royal Aquamaster. Any suggestions or thoughts? I keep hoping Bryan will get back into production but don't see any signs that he will. Thanks!

I was lucky enough to find one when I was looking. It's a pretty simple design using common materials. You should be able to fabricate one pretty easily using common power tools.
I use mine now all the time, for both double hose and single hose diving. Flat and light and easy to pack.

I am super cheap, and made a backplate out of a $5 cutting board with a skillsaw, drill to start the holes, and dremel to smooth the edges (couple of plates, actually) and get good doublehose placement with it. It's a cheap option, and works shockingly well. Started life as a FarberWare Basics 11x14 inch cutting board (bought at Big Lots);
20190831_153856-jpg.537752.jpg

CuttingBoardTemplate.jpg

That pic has a DIY wing as well, but that's my first cutting board plate. This is my most recent template.
And it sits low enough on my back to position a DH well;
JamesDoubleHoseSide.jpg

Respectfully,
James

I have heard the freedom plates work pretty good...

Thanks all. The Freedom Plates seem to be on hold (plus they cost a fortune!). Anybody know whether the VDH plate is made of aluminum or stainless steel?

Aluminum alloy. Pretty rigid stuff.

VDH back plater (back pack) configuration is an almost exact copy of the 1950s-ear;y 1960s Sea Craft units manufactured in Beverly Mass, They were offered in three sizes for a singe tank a double tank and a triple tank block
I have four double tank units which I mounted US Diver twin 44s
Very comfortable well balanced .

I constructed several from sheet aluminum- If needed I could trace a pattern for you amd your could produces or have a unit produced for a reasonable price

SDM

Stringing a backplate with an assortment of paraphernalia is a test I always manage to fail.

VDH back plater (back pack) configuration is an almost exact copy of the 1950s-ear;y 1960s Sea Craft units manufactured in Beverly Mass, They were offered in three sizes for a singe tank a double tank and a triple tank block
I have four double tank units which I mounted US Diver twin 44s
Very comfortable well balanced .

I constructed several from sheet aluminum- If needed I could trace a pattern for you amd your could produces or have a unit produced for a reasonable price

SDM

Except that the dimensions and the slots are different. The slots in the Sea Craft were designed to be used with large hose clamp to attach directly to the tank (no BCD wing) and therefore needed a screw driver to attach it.

The VDH plate in contrast is designed with two sets of slots that will fit all standard modern buoyancy compensating (BC) wings and it uses the modern tank band straps with quick release for easy and quick transfer from one tank to the next. It also has the bolt hole spacing for the modern wing.

They both use the same 2 inch webbing that is standard in all modern harnesses and they are both aluminum. The height, width, and the webbing slots are also a little bit different, but from the distance they do look similar, kind of like saying that most double hose regulators look the same… well, they actually do look the same. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom