Vintage diving in Lake Wazee, WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If you're in the mid-west then you're probably familiar with the Great Lake nearest you, and perhaps a quarry or two. My first trip to this particular quarry in Wisconsin took place mid-July and already the water was warm enough that I felt over dressed in my 5 mil suit.
My first couple dives took place in Sherwood Forest and in that vicinity. The forest was interesting but I really like the fact that everything there, including fish cribs and several props left by other divers, was easily experienced in just two dived.
Much of it anyway. My friend who has been here many times assures me there's lenty more to see.
Who here is familiar with Lake Wazee?

I love Wazee! I did a lot of my early specialty training there as a new diver from Madison and just finished my tech work there in May.

Have you done the nav course?

I love Wazee! I did a lot of my early specialty training there as a new diver from Madison and just finished my tech work there in May.

Have you done the nav course?
Not there I haven't. I'm from Michigan and this was my first time diving Wazee. Got chased out of there by that crazy storm Saturday morning. It's nice enough that I'll probably go back though.
How many dives have you done there?

DD

You did Wazee in a 5 mil?! I've dove it, but only in a drysuit. And I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I just got back from Bonaire, and used a 5 mil there... I'm an embarrassment to Minnesota divers everywhere. :wink:

More power to you for thinking you were overdressed!

Thanks for checking out my video (you did, right?). I too use a drysuit, but try to put it away around May or June when Lake Superior starts to be consistently in the 40+ range. As we experience higher temps, 50 and up, I like to start using thinner suits. I just love the flexibility. I sometimes get cold, but I only have so much air anyway so I know it's temporary.

Reactions: Xta
Nice footage, I'm coveting the triple steels.

I've only been to Lake Wazee once -- there are better, closer dives for me.

Wazee in many ways has everything freshwater diving can offer except perhaps a historic wreck. Other than $10 to park, it's free. Easy walk down from the parking lot. There are technical divers who bring a trailer that has their blending bench in it. Or, there's a trimix blender within 10 miles if you want someone else to do it. Dive shallow, dive deep, whatever your pleasure it's inexpensive and convenient and there's lots to see.

Myself, I've never been beyond 100 feet there, where I visited the deep platform and continued over the wall.

My wife and I were there 07/19-07/21.

the water was warm enough that I felt overdressed in my 5 mil suit.

You are crazy. I am glad I had my semidry. Low to mid 50's under the first thermocline around 30' and 41 (wifes computer read 39) under the second thermocline below 70'.

ot chased out of there by that crazy storm Saturday morning.

Storms put a damper on our diving but it was still great. We were sitting at our safety stop after a deep dive near Sherwood forest on Saturday morning when we noticed all the lightening. When we got to the surface we couldn't believe the waves and wind. Had to go back down to 10' to swim to shore.

My wife and I were there 07/19-07/21.

You are crazy. I am glad I had my semidry. Low to mid 50's under the first thermocline around 30' and 41 (wifes computer read 39) under the second thermocline below 70'.

Storms put a damper on our diving but it was still great. We were sitting at our safety stop after a deep dive near Sherwood forest on Saturday morning when we noticed all the lightening. When we got to the surface we couldn't believe the waves and wind. Had to go back down to 10' to swim to shore.

I've been using my 5 mil for many weeks in Superior now. I get chilled at 42 but it beats donning the drysuit.

I watched you come out right behind us. Only twice have I seen the flash of lightening from underwater. The first time I raced to my aluminum boat that was waiting for us. Not sure which is worse :wink:

@Diverdon

Great footage !
I have been a corresponding friend via telephone, letters and now e mails with Sea hunter Jerry for 35 perhaps more years. During that period he has always wrote of his Lake Wazee dive adventures-- Now after all these good and great years of friendship I am finally honored to see the famous lake up close and personal

Thanks for sharing - regards to Jerry

Sam Miller, III

@Zairishuman

Nice footage, I'm coveting the triple steels.

I dove the 44s as doubles aka "Orange County Twin 44s" * for many years- from mid 1950s when US Divers closed then out -- to when I gently retired them about 10 years ago
It is my plan to have them hydroed and place them individually up for sale
At this junction in dive history they will be some what pricey
interested ?

sdm

*See
wwwportagequarry.com
Sea Sabers Signaling system

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom