Vintage BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
(sorry this got a little wordy, I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible.)

I just got my (new?) BC, the one I mentioned in this thread. I’m stoked. It looks brand new. Too bad it didn’t show up before this morning’s dive...

Now I have some more questions for all you, um, 'experienced' divers...

I'm wondering if the wing is mounted correctly. On the wing there are printed warnings and instructions on one side (in the middle section between/below the cam band holes). The way that the wing came mounted to the plastic backpack, the printed side is toward the backpack. It seems to me the wing would be designed so that you can read the warnings and instructions.

The inflator elbow and the OPV/Dump valve are on the same side as the instructions, so if I reverse it, they will be on the back of the BC. I’m fairly sure I will still be able to reach the dump valve around the wing. Besides, when swimming in a horizontal position it seems that it would be better to have the pull dump on the top. I’ve checked the inflator elbow, and I can rotate it to be over the left shoulder, which ever way the wing is mounted.

So, which way does the wing go? Oh, and the side with the instructions is the same material as the rest of the wing (cordura nylon), while the other side's center section is like vinyl.

This picture, shows the BC from the backpack side. Sorry it's not a bigger picture.

I bought this BC because it was cheap and I thought it might make a good travel BC. It's definetly light and packs small. But now that I have it in hand, I’m thinking of selling my Zeagle Ranger, and using this full-time. There have to be reasons why people aren’t diving these old BCs still, right? I mean, besides integrated weights, padding, pockets, flexible straps, ... What am I missing?

The bc is mounted correctly on the back pack in the picture. I sold that type of bc made by Seatec/SeaQuest/Sub Aquatic Systems/Z-90 and several others for most of the 80's. You could reverse it and it would work fine as well but when you take them out of the box directly from the mfg they were mounted to the backpack just like yours is in the picture.

I use a Seatec Seahorse, mine is orange and blue. I bought it in the early 80s. I do not consider it vintage, classic maybe but not vintage, actually I think it is my most modern set up--lol. Vintage, my opinion, has to be prior to and or of the type and style as used prior to 1975.

This is a pic from weekend before with me using my Seatec on a deep freswater wreck. I use mine with a Hammerhead backplate. I removed the plastic plate that came with it as the backplate system is so much more versitle and allows me to install D rings everywhere! Not vintage.

Nemrod:
I use a Seatec Seahorse, mine is orange and blue. I bought it in the early 80s. I do not consider it vintage, classic maybe but not vintage, actually I think it is my most modern set up--lol. Vintage, my opinion, has to be prior to and or of the type and style as used prior to 1975.

This is a pic from weekend before with me using my Seatec on a deep freswater wreck. I use mine with a Hammerhead backplate. I removed the plastic plate that came with it as the backplate system is so much more versitle and allows me to install D rings everywhere! Not vintage.

Thanks for the pics. 'Classic' works for me. I tend to use 'classic' and 'vintage' interchangeably. My bad.

As I mentioned before, my original plan was to use this as a travel BC, so the light weight of plastic is appealing. I know that means a little more lead when diving, but that’s weight I don’t have to carry on the airplane.

Once I got it in hand, though, I started thinking about replacing the old, stiff webbing with some that’s more flexible, and adding d-rings. Then maybe some weight pockets. At that point, there will be little difference between this BC and my weight-integrated Ranger. Just think of the new toys I could buy once I eBay the Ranger...

At some point I may consider switching the pack for a plate, but I don't expect my diving to warrant it for a while, if ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom