Vintage aqualung steel tank and backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy

Picked up early seventies aqualung steel Tank with backpack. The backpack is in very good to excellent condition. Pictures to follow.

Just wondering about the backpack seeing as it is not part of a BCD.

More to the point, is it something I, as a new diver, would ever consider using?

Can I add a wing to it?

Or, would I be better off to post it on the for sale by owner section of this site so somebody else could make good use of it either in the water or as part of a collection?

I remember those backpacks! I had one that I found on the road on Anna Maria that someone had ran over. My grandfather fixed it with fiberglass and resin that he was using to build his second houseboat. Some were plastic and some metal. They were the thing to have circa 1973 when I started diving as an 11 year-old. Put a photo up please of it.

The pack is junk. Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly.
Come to think of it, if the tank is a galvanized steel 72 with no liner and straight 3/4” threads with an O-ring you should send that to me too because “nobody uses those anymore” and they are junk. I can dispose of that too while I’m at it.

Howdy

Picked up early seventies aqualung steel Tank with backpack. The backpack is in very good to excellent condition. Pictures to follow.

Just wondering about the backpack seeing as it is not part of a BCD.

More to the point, is it something I, as a new diver, would ever consider using?

Can I add a wing to it?

Or, would I be better off to post it on the for sale by owner section of this site so somebody else could make good use of it either in the water or as part of a collection?
The backpacks were often used with no BCD, or the horse collar styles. You could add a wing to it (depending on how handy/creative you are), or see if you can sell it to a collector (probably not much in that... I have a few of varying styles laying about). Or pursue the vintage path, and work your way to no BCD diving.
The tank, on the other hand, should be sent to me for proper disposal... lol. If it's late seventies, I'd bet a dollar it's an LP72 (if it's stamped "3AA 2250", and about as tall as an aluminum 80) with modern standard 3/4 straight thread on the neck... depending on the valve that's on it, either rebuild the valve or buy a new one. I'm a big fan of 72's... but be aware that at 2250 they are more of a 65 cf tank. 72 is based on a "+" fill (10% overfill) or about 2475 psi. I run mine at 2800 ish (but most shops will only fill to rated pressure. Don't get overfills without doing your own research and making your own risk assessment) which puts them at about a true 80.

Respectfully,

James

I truly love the "Trash Liberation Front" contingent of any group. Being a gearhead myself I have "disposed of" numerous bits of kit and other gear over the years for people :yeahbaby:

Tank is steel with a J-valve and matches one other that I presently own So I will be keeping it TYVM. :-D

Seriously though, if I can make use of this backpack reasonably soon in my diving career I'd rather do that. So, the adding a wing to it holds a lot of interest for me.

How would I go about doing that and what type/model/make wing is most likely to succeed? Perhaps more helpful, as anyone here already done such a thing and how did it go for you?

This one has a VDH 18 bolted to it

full.jpg

after I stripped out the eyelets and roll devices

full.jpg

and filled the pak with lead

full.jpg

See how it packs

full.jpg

It dives magnificently!

Not quite the same, but my kids and I are using BPW's that I made from scratch:
Dirt Cheap BP/W Mk2
And I know @JamesBon92007 uses a plastic backpack with a "wing" made from a snorkel vest.
Many options, depending on how creative you want to get!

The backpack with no BC is great for warm water diving. You will not believe the sense of freedom you get using this setup.
Swim suit, mask, fins, depth gauge, watch, backpack, tank and regulator is my favorite way to dive. I don't need a weight belt and run tables in my head.

I truly love the "Trash Liberation Front" contingent of any group. Being a gearhead myself I have "disposed of" numerous bits of kit and other gear over the years for people :yeahbaby:

Tank is steel with a J-valve and matches one other that I presently own So I will be keeping it TYVM. :-D

Seriously though, if I can make use of this backpack reasonably soon in my diving career I'd rather do that. So, the adding a wing to it holds a lot of interest for me.

How would I go about doing that and what type/model/make wing is most likely to succeed? Perhaps more helpful, as anyone here already done such a thing and how did it go for you?
All you need to really do it get a wing that you don’t mind burning in some cam band slots (or one) where you might need them. Some you don’t even need to do that. You can run cam bands around those packs in different areas depending on the brand. All you really need is one cam band to hold the tank on and just sandwich the wing on between the pack and tank. Maybe a little fiddly but certainly can be done. The other thing to do if you’re handy is to built some sort of STA that can be attached to the center holes in the plate and the wing and cam bands would go on the backside of the STA.
I have an old Healthways pack that I use with no BC for goofing around in water up to 40’ in and around rocks shooting fish and getting scallops etc.
I also use it plain with no wing to clean boats and unfoul props. Why clean a wing if you don’t have to?

All you need to really do it get a wing that you don’t mind burning in some cam band slots (or one) where you might need them. Some you don’t even need to do that. You can run cam bands around those packs in different areas depending on the brand. All you really need is one cam band to hold the tank on and just sandwich the wing on between the pack and tank. Maybe a little fiddly but certainly can be done. The other thing to do if you’re handy is to built some sort of STA that can be attached to the center holes in the plate and the wing and cam bands would go on the backside of the STA.
I have an old Healthways pack that I use with no BC for goofing around in water up to 40’ in and around rocks shooting fish and getting scallops etc.
I also use it plain with no wing to clean boats and unfoul props. Why clean a wing if you don’t have to?
Hi Eric, using your freedom plate without wing any suggestion what to use for an STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom