vinegar percentage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vovanx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I often see advices like "soak your gear in vinegar to remove the corrosion", but never saw which exactly vinegar should be used, I assume it is because there is only one type of vinegar solution sold in the US.
but in other countries there are different solutions, like "5% vinegar", "7% vinegar", 10%, 30%, 100% etc. also there are different types of vinegar, e.g. natural made from apples or artificial one.
I feel that different percentages may behave differently on the gear, and high percentages may be even harmful. So which exactly percentage solution should I use?

Interesting question. I don't seem to have any vinegar on hand at the moment but I think the stuff they sell here in California is 5% but I wouldn't swear to that. I don't mean to sound absurd, but as a general rule I'd day soak it for half as long if it's twice as strong. Personally, I have not had a lot of success with 5% and sometimes will use muriatic acid to remove bad corrosion, but never on anything new, and only as a last resort. I only leave it on for a few seconds and immerse it in water to stop the reaction. I would approach it with caution, starting with a weaker solution first, keeping a careful eye on it and don't leave it soaking any longer than necessary, brushing it after soaking with a soft brush (toothbrush) and see if it needs more treatment. If you have something such as the stem of a demand valve that is badly corroded then I would assume it is weakened and replace it.

I only use VERY cheap vinegar. The reason for this is that the super-cheap stuff is a 5-6% solution of synthetic acetic acid, without any of the organics that add flavour but won't be doing you any favours in a regulator. I have not seen any "factory vinegar" here which is not 5 or 6%, I imagine the other grades are definitely more organic-tainted.

I use Heinz distilled white vinegar in 1:1 dilution with water. Time depends on the degree of verdigris or corrosion. I usually check every 5 minutes. For most cases 5 minutes is enough. I also sometimes use a soft bristled toothbrush for "stubborn" spots. Worked great so far.

in our country Vinegar essence is standard product in the food markets :)
http://www.ru.all.biz/img/ru/catalog/1610486.jpeg - 70%

For regulators cleaning I used water solution of this essence, approx. 1 spoon per cup of water.
I`d checked this solution by taste (never try to check essence taste - it can kill you).
If you can taste the taste of liquid - you can add some more water. If it seems too acidic for you - it is enough. (Taste - do not mean "drink", just taste a little, and spit out)
In my opinion it is something between 5 and 9%

One important notice! if you have steel (stainless steel too) parts - place it in to separated cup, because in one box with brass (even chromed) - you will have galvanical pair, and you can loose chromium layer from regulator parts :)

But best vinegar usage way - is to use citric acid :)
Much more safe (also for parts), easy to use, easy to buy, can check by taste in any condition.
And works very well!

I use Heinz distilled white vinegar in 1:1 dilution with water
what does "distilled vinegar" mean? 100% vinegar solution?

I often see advices like "soak your gear in vinegar to remove the corrosion", but never saw which exactly vinegar should be used, I assume it is because there is only one type of vinegar solution sold in the US.

In the US I mostly see vinegar already diluted to 5%, but even that seems to be too strong, so an additional dilution by 50% brings it to 2.5%

Having said that, I've found phosphoric acid diluted to 8.5% by weight (it comes pre-diluted to 85% phosphoric | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store) plus a little liquid dish soap, more effective and not as insulting to my olfactory system. Cheers to @rsingler for that tip.

Others have found products such as Salt-X = The best salt and salt corrosion fighter! effective, but I've not tried it.

BTW: Heating a cleaning solution increases it's effectiveness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom