Vilamendhoo vs Helengeli?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I am considering a trip to the Maldives for May, 2022. I dive but my husband doesn't, so I'm only considering resorts. We're planning 10 nights there, and I will probably do 5-6 days of diving and the rest just enjoying the resort. So, we're looking for both great (boat) diving and interesting off-beach snorkeling. I've only dived the Caribbean (Cozumel, T&C, Cayman Islands) and only have about 80 dives. So I'm familiar with drift dives, but not looking for anything challenging. I'd never even heard of a reef hook until I started researching the Maldives. I'm not good at spotting small sea life, especially in currents, and prefer dives with large creatures (fish, barracuda, turtles, rays, eels, sharks). I'd prefer dives with lots of sea life and unimpressive corals to impressive corals with little sea life.

As for the resort, we want all-inclusive simply so we're not thinking about whether we want to pay $6 for that can of soda at lunch, or if it is really worth $22 to rent a kayak for the afternoon. Good snorkeling is important. Right now, Vilamendhoo (South Ari) and OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli (North Malé) are the top two contenders. Anyone have recommendations between these two? Helengeli is about $1000 cheaper for the water villa as compared to Vilamendhoo's JWV, but we'll pay more for a better experience. Feel free to confuse matters more if there is another resort that ticks all the boxes and is in the same range as these two.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom