Vietnam: Nha Trang or Cham Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yukon Jack

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

We're passing through both Nha Trang and Hoi An in early August. We'd like to do some diving in Vietnam, but since we are short of time (as usual) we can't do both places. I've read reports about both but haven't seen any comparisons between the two. Has anyone here done both? I'm wondering if the vis and water temps might be better in August further south in Nha Trang. The isolation of Cham Island is a bit appealing, tho. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Well, Nha Trang coastline benefits from a sunny climate in the northern summer months, that is to say august for instance.
The only time I went to Hoi An in August 4 years ago for 3 days, it wasn't the same story : raining almost everyday. You also have to know that Hoi An river is carrying lots of sand, therefore I might be wrong but I am very perplex about diving the area, it look sfor me more like an attempt at entertaining the crowd of tourists that is gathering in this wonderful small city that you can walk around in a half day.

Now talking about Nha Trang, I have dived the place twice (but it was 7 years ago for the last time) and I must say I prefer by far Whale island which is 50 miles up north. There is a french owned resort called Ile de la Baleine (whale island resort) located inside a bay with a lakeflat sea (ever seen such a viz at the beach, like a pool) it looks like a Maldivian resort, though the nipa huts are more basic.
Rainbow divers have their own operation there, I really enjoyed the place even thpough you can't say it's world class diving, there are many freaky critters (biggest size of nudibranch I have seen in 15 years of diving, Ghostpipefish, scorpionfish, etc.). Corals are also much better compared to close Nha Trang area.

hope this helps.
Luko

Thanks Luko for the helpful info. It's nice to know the differences since our time is limited.

Hi there. My two cents, been diving all over Vietnam for more then five years and about 3000 dives...Nha Trang, used to be OK. now the government has closed all but three of the dive sites, the fish are all gone, the only thing you will see are other divers.
Whale island is good,not great, as is all diving in Vietnam. This is not a diving destination....except of course the shop that I will open on Con Dao Island in early august:D ! We have 12 pretty much undived islands and should be mapping the dive sites when you are in the country.....
Hoi An is actually ok, much better then Nha Trang.
Cam Ranh Bay....20 km south of Nha Trang has some nice diving, we used to get a bunch of the staff together, fill a truck with gear, head on down there, rent a fishing boat for the day, do three dives during the day and a night dive. On the beach for sea food lunch and dinner...that was fun, I am pretty sure you can arrange to rent gear, P.M. me, and I will see if i can set you up.

Thanks ti325v - and good luck with your shop! We won't have time to visit Con Dao on this trip, but we're already planning our subsequent trip to VN and perhaps we can catch you on the rebound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom