Video tray width

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Most agree that using a tray provides a steadier platform than a pole or holding in hand. It would seem the reason is that the wider your hands are from the center, the less movement at the center. An inch of vertical movement at 8" will provide half the angular rotation as an inch of vertical movement at 4". Right?

So if I have that right wouldn't an even wider tray provide more stability? Most trays seem to be 8-12" wide. Why not have extendable arms that let you have 24" wide? I haven't seen any trays that do that.

Make the tray as wide as you want ...

... commercial offerings have to consider several factors, such as packaging (their own, and how to travel with it afterwards), fitting in spaces underwater (i.e. valleys and swim throughs), fitting in spaces above water (boats, rinse buckets, vehicles, bags, etc), rigidity (the longer away from COG, the beefier you need to make it to account for that)

Plus added costs of moving parts, more material, etc, etc

_R

I get that. I'm just wondering if my reasoning is invalid that wider = more stability because if it offered an advantage I'd think *somebody* would offer it. In every product, we have ranges of features and options that yield products in various price points, various ease of use, suitability for various conditions, and different levels of convenience.

I'm thinking about rigging something up with a slotted bar that could allow the handles to extend out or push in to typical size. Or extension bars that could fold out for taking video and fold in for storage and transport. Rigidity is something to consider but I can't see a 1/4" alum flatbar flexing at 24" wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom