Video Light(s) for Shark Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been an underwater photographer for a long time but have never shot video. I have a chance to do a shark dive in a a couple months in the Bahamas and would like to shoot some video. So I'm wondering what lighting I might need. I haven't done a shark dive so I'm not sure how close the sharks might come. Will I need 5000 lumens? 10,000 Lumens? I don't have a huge budget for the lights so just bump up the ISO and shoot using available light?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx, Chris

Many operators disallow video lights for sharks..
Use available light.

Consider the other divers in your group too. They might not appreciate having the area lit up like a football stadium.

I made a shark mad one time by accidentally shining my flashlight in it's eyes and I didn't get eaten but it was pretty scary. Using ambient light is the way to go.

You are going on a shark dive and you have no idea how close the sharks will come to you?

Have you really considered how dangerous shark dives are?

I think I would have a good idea of what to expect and how the sharks are expected to typically act before you making plans to participate. There have been a few fatalities on shark dives there in the last few years and many shark attacks in the Bahamas.

I've been an underwater photographer for a long time but have never shot video. I have a chance to do a shark dive in a a couple months in the Bahamas and would like to shoot some video. So I'm wondering what lighting I might need. I haven't done a shark dive so I'm not sure how close the sharks might come. Will I need 5000 lumens? 10,000 Lumens? I don't have a huge budget for the lights so just bump up the ISO and shoot using available light?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx, Chris

OK sounds like ambient light is the way to go. I was kind of thinking that but thanks everyone for verifying. Cheers, Chris

tiger beach, they come close enough to touch. its why they give you a pvc pipe to push them away. the vis is gin clear a lot of the time so ambient light is enough if it is somewhat sunny. you only need video lights for a night dive or if it is real cloudy. something similar to the kraken 3500 is plenty, going to 8000+ would be overkill if you get two, but there is a pretty good sale on the 8000.

sharks are awesome. depending on the species, you might luck out and get some up close and personal video.
  • tigers will approach you but only if you're not looking. if you look directly at them, they go away, mostly
  • reef sharks are the crack-heads of the sea and completely unpredictable but usually more scared of you than vice versa
  • nurse sharks are harmless and seem to spend their life sleeping
  • never met a great white and don't want to
  • bull sharks are unpredictable but the females, when pregnant, are curious but predominantly docile
  • lemon sharks like to be scratched between the eyes and will park in front of you until you do it
These are generalizations. Do NOT rely on my questionable experiences or decisions to guide you.
Remember to wear gloves. Flappy fleshy hands look like fish to sharks. If you are doing a shark dive as your 100th, at least wear a budgie smuggler.

Let us know how the dive goes.

Consider the other divers in your group too. They might not appreciate having the area lit up like a football stadium.
Totally agree. Had a diver on one shark dive with a pair of really bright video lights. He swam around and ended up in every one else's pictures, with his lights ruining a number of shots. Use ambient light, get a manual white balance at the beginning of the dive, and enjoy your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom