Question Video Light Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm shopping for (2X) video lights and would love to hear your opinions/recommendations! I've been looking primarily at:

Big Blue CB15000PB-RC/P or CB10000PB-RC/P
Kraken Hydra 15000 or 8000, Solar Flare Mini
Light & Motion Sola Pro 15000/12000

Keldans look great but are out of my price range.

My requirements are:
1. 8k+ lumen
2. Under $1500 (preferably in the $800-$1000 range)
3. CRI 80+ (preferably 85+)
4. 100+ degree beam
5. Chip on Board preferable
6. Red and blue light modes preferable
7. Remote Control preferable

If there are other specifications I should be considering in addition to this list, please let me know!

Also, if you could please specify which particular model(s) in your comments that would be greatly appreciated! :)

I just bought an ikelite housing for my Sony a6300 and am completely new to underwater videography so any and all tips are welcomed!

I'm shopping for (2X) video lights and would love to hear your opinions/recommendations! I've been looking primarily at:

Big Blue CB15000PB-RC/P or CB10000PB-RC/P
Kraken Hydra 15000 or 8000, Solar Flare Mini
Light & Motion Sola Pro 15000/12000

Keldans look great but are out of my price range.

My requirements are:
1. 8k+ lumen
2. Under $1500 (preferably in the $800-$1000 range)
3. CRI 80+ (preferably 85+)
4. 100+ degree beam
5. Chip on Board preferable
6. Red and blue light modes preferable
7. Remote Control preferable

If there are other specifications I should be considering in addition to this list, please let me know!

Also, if you could please specify which particular model(s) in your comments that would be greatly appreciated! :)

I just bought an ikelite housing for my Sony a6300 and am completely new to underwater videography so any and all tips are welcomed!

L/M all the way if your doing actual video work

Bigblu lights are not a constant output ans the specs are pretty over inflated

8k+ lumens real lumens or claimed lumens? Keep in mine the Big Blue lights are only good for about half of what they claim and aren't constant output. Light and Motion is and I believe Kraken is as well but haven't confirmed.
$1500 each? Still puts @Bobby 's lights out of the question as the 100v is between $2000-$2500 and doesn't have red/blue modes or remote control

Of those, the Light and Motion would be my first choice, Kraken second. Big Blue not even in the running

Thread reported to mods to merge with your other thread in the videography section which is more appropriate.

Check out Orcatorch. Have a couple of the 5000 lumen torches that have done well by me. The 10500 lumen torches have always looked interesting and might meet some of your list.

If you're willing to take some chances, go check over the cheap chinese video light review thread. I turned on a professional photog friend to the "C15" 20,000 lumen lights that the "Brett" underwater lighting store sells on Aliexpress based on the info there, and he's been thrilled with them. Common consensus seems to be to buy lights-only and source your own 18650 batteries and charger from a reputable domestic source.

They're a fraction of the cost of the "brand name" lights, and have some shortcomings (switches mainly) but they're cheap enough to buy spares.

Photog friend measured these with pro-grade equipment and says that they are true 6k temp as advertised. My experience is beam spread is very wide (120°) with no noticeable hotspot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom