Video Light recommendation for go pro hero 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clock115

Reaction score
Hey fellow divers!
I am going to townsville, Australia for my last semester of undergraduate to study marine biology and will be doing tons of diving!! :D :D

My question is what are some good video lighting options for the go pro hero 4 for under 300 dollars. I have been juggling between buying 2 cheaper lights or buying one that is a little nicer and getting a second in the future.
Diving is my passion and I will be doing a lot of it in my future so I was kind of leaning toward the second option. Will I get good video with only 1 light if im just doing average reef dives or will the shadows be pretty bad? I have been considering archon lights since they are wide beam angle and good lumens for the price. Here are the 2 lights I am considering.
ARCHON D34VR W40VR Multifunction Underwater 100M Max 2600Lumens Photographing Lights(1*32650 battery) Online ifunfox.com
or
2x Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

I would love to hear what your opinions are on these lights and other possible suggestions for around my budget.

Thanks and happy diving!!!

Hey fellow divers!
I am going to townsville, Australia for my last semester of undergraduate to study marine biology and will be doing tons of diving!! :D :D

My question is what are some good video lighting options for the go pro hero 4 for under 300 dollars. I have been juggling between buying 2 cheaper lights or buying one that is a little nicer and getting a second in the future.
Diving is my passion and I will be doing a lot of it in my future so I was kind of leaning toward the second option. Will I get good video with only 1 light if im just doing average reef dives or will the shadows be pretty bad? I have been considering archon lights since they are wide beam angle and good lumens for the price. Here are the 2 lights I am considering.
ARCHON D34VR W40VR Multifunction Underwater 100M Max 2600Lumens Photographing Lights(1*32650 battery) Online ifunfox.com
or
2x Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

I would love to hear what your opinions are on these lights and other possible suggestions for around my budget.

Thanks and happy diving!!!

I use several of the 860 lumens archon lights they work pretty good and they are really a good value.

Here is a short clip using just one of these lights!

[video=youtube;4o2vUgX76GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o2vUgX76GM[/video]

If you do get these lights make sure you get the Ion rechargable batteries with charger, totally worth it!

Frank G
Z GEAR - Build A Mount - Camera Pole Light Mounts, Hands Free Dive Camera Mounts & Dive Light Mounts - Build A Mount

I use the archon D11V, excellent lights and certainly one of the best priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also own a D11V. They are a good bang for the buck. Make sure you get good rechargeable batteries for it, the cheaper batteries won't last more than a few minutes.

Whatever lights you choose, keep in mind that at this price range, the reach of the lights is limited to just a few feet from the camera - don't expect to light and reintroduce color to wider shots. Filters work best in that sense. These lights will do well on close-ups, macro or not.

I also own a D11V. They are a good bang for the buck. Make sure you get good rechargeable batteries for it, the cheaper batteries won't last more than a few minutes.

What batteries are you using? I just bought a D11V but I'm using Sola 2000 for primary lighting. The Archon is less powerful but I was swayed by the price. Please let me know which batteries you recommend, and which to avoid.

I use 2 I torch video pro 4 lights 1300 lumen each. Regardless of your choice, make sure they are vdieo spots, anything else will center burn your video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom