Video light for the dc1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to add this light to my current dc1200 with 1 strobe setup. Does it operate as a second strobe as well as being a video light and dive light. The only info on the sealife site talks about an on/off function when a stobe is detected. Or does the video light only help light the subject to improve focus and minimize shadowing?

Last edited:
It does not operate as a strobe. I have only taken it on a couple of dives so am still learning what it will do. I turned it on when I splashed and left it on for the dive. The battery life seems acceptable to me. I have a couple of stills that were taken under a ledge where it was kind of dark. It was enough light that my strobe did not fire. If I wasn't at work, (no access to the pictures) I would attach them to show you what it looks like. Maybe later.

Dmoore is right, it does not act as a second strobe but more of a modeling light. the default settings are so that the light stays on all the time, even when the strobe fires off. The advantage is that it helps fill in the shadows that a single strobe can create.

It is a great help to the focusing of the camera as well.

Joe

Thanks for the replies. I am also hoping to use the video light as a primary light and just carry my currrent light in my drysuit or bc pocket as a back up.

It should do two things - light up the subject on close-up shots (2-5'?) to make the colors "pop" and also at 500 lumens it will be considerably brighter than most sub-$100 dive lights although more diffuse as it has a 70o beam. At 6500o K it's also going to be a little bluer.

My buddy dives at night with his Ikelite strobe's modeling light only - his is a little dim for my needs.

I have the DC1200 with a single strobe and am trying to decide what to add - diffuser, 2nd strobe or video strobe. I am still learning the ins and outs of the camera, so any suggestions you have would be helpful.

The video light is not a strobe. It is a light, it has an on and off switch. When on it has 5 settings though, 100%, 50%, 25%, blinking and SOS. It is quite handy though as the light will detach from the arm and you can use it to shine from most any angle you wish. The difuser works well, it slips onto the body of the strobe. If I had it to do over, I would still buy the video light instead of the 2nd strobe.

I have the older DC 800 so the improved "piano key" buttons on the housing is much improved over my camera. Figure out how to use the manual setting and use them, you may need to take several pictures adjusting the f-stop and the shutter speed but it is worth the effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom